Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine guard W/ Forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Wide Glide and use an engine guard (with pegs) only for longer trips to get the extra foot positions. If I'm not going on a trip I take it off and it hangs in the garage. Easy 5 min to take it off and put it back on.

I agree with others that I don't care for the looks of an engine guard on the bike, but it's nice to have the extra foot rest on longer trips.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Rockhanger
Advanced

Would an engine guard for a Wideglide fit a Lowrider with forwards?
Anyone done this?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockhanger
I would like to install forward controls on my 2003 Lowrider. Has anyone done this with an engine guard?
Originally Posted by Rockhanger
Would an engine guard for a Wideglide fit a Lowrider with forwards?
Anyone done this?
Yes. You can use the engine guard from a Wideglide with forward controls.
I did this on my 2001 FXD.

The only problem I encountered was the front fender hitting the bar on hard bumps.
To fix this, I made a bracket out of aluminum that changes the mounting at the top and raised the engine guard up about an inch. The bottom is attached using a u-bolts so it can mount anywhere.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default highway bars for 2009 low rider with forward controls

What are you using with forward controls? I asked J&P Cycles about highway bars for my bike with forward controls and they said I can't do it. I thought crash/engine/highway bars would be a good thing to have but I'm seeing pros and cons here. I still do want to at least put something on to stretch my legs on the long ride but not sure what to get. What are you or anyone else who reads this using?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I have engine guard on my '13 Super Glide with forward controls. The bottom of the engine guard mounts to the front of the frame just above where the forward controls mount, so no interference. You can see the U bolts for it in some of these shots:

Shouldn't be all that different for earlier year models. Instead of going straight back to the forward control mounts, there is an L shaped bracket welded on, which bolts to the frame with U bolts.

Last edited by ABQ-Jammer; 09-25-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 730 Likes on 561 Posts
Old 09-26-2018, 03:05 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I got mine off eBay for $150, shipped, and it included offset highway pegs with it. I think you could save some decent $ looking around.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

There is/was a Moco crash bar for -'05 with forwards. It's now an obsolete part, but there's always ebay or a Taiwan Ted clone. I'm running the FLD footboards on my '02 & couldn't find a factory crash bar at the time & went the V-Twin Mfg route. I don't need highway pegs with the 'boards (too short to reach crash bar mounted pegs anyway), but wanted the engine protection & they fit the look of my bike (IMO).

Last edited by Carl '69; 09-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:07 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a 2003 Low Rider and it had forward controls on when I bought it. I bought a Lindby Linbar #104-1 for the Wide Glide as it comes stick with forward controls. Fit great except if you really lean into a curve, it will drag. You can see from pictures for the #104-1 that it hangs down some.
Then about a year later I added HD Switchback floorboards. The Linbar that fits the Switchback is #114-1 which is the same bar as #104-1 except it comes with little rectangle spacers for the rear mount on the footboards. I just called up Lindby and the actually sent me the spacers for no charge.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:29 PM
madhat
Stage III

I had to get used to the bar being in the way with my forward control, but just because I have big feet. I just have to point my toe in just a little more when I'm shifting or braking, but it's not a big deal, I was used to it in a few days. I have some highway pegs on there, stretch out on those.

The bike I had before this one had mid mounted floor boards with a heal toe, and engine guard with pegs, I loved that set up as well.

Quick Reply: Engine guard W/ Forward controls