Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150/80x17 on the front of my Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Limey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150/80x17 on the front of my Street Bob

I'm in the process of putting a fat front wheel on my Bob but without changing the trees. I'm pretty sure there's room between the sliders for a 150/80x17 and I'm planning to get the stock front hub laced to a stock rear rim (4.5x17) but I'm getting mixed information about whether the tyre/rim combination is recommended or even safe.

Has anyone done this? I've found sites that say a 4.5" rim is fine with a 150/80 tyre, but others that say the widest rim for that tyre is 4.25"

What are the downsides (if any) of fitting that size tyre to that size rim? The only feedback I've had in person (from a well respected custom builder) told me that the profile of the tyre would be flattened very slightly which may affect the handling when leaned right over but believed that it would be fine.

Anyone agree or disagree? Or know where I can get a definitive answer?

Last edited by Limey; 10-29-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Dingobob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mate you can put a 180 on a 4.5" rim so I'm sure you'll be fine. There's a bloke on here with a 200 on the front.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Trippster
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Limey
I'm in the process of putting a fat front wheel on my Bob but without changing the trees. I'm pretty sure there's room between the sliders for a 150/80x17 and I'm planning to get the stock front hub laced to a stock rear rim (4.5x17) but I'm getting mixed information about whether the tyre/rim combination is recommended or even safe.

Has anyone done this? I've found sites that say a 4.5" rim is fine with a 150/80 tyre, but others that say the widest rim for that tyre is 4.25"

What are the downsides (if any) of fitting that size tyre to that size rim? The only feedback I've had in person (from a well respected custom builder) told me that the profile of the tyre would be flattened very slightly which may affect the handling when leaned right over but believed that it would be fine.

I did it on my 07 wide glide andworks just

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Trippster
Road Captain

I did the same thing on my 07 wide glide and it works just fine. It might not fit between the forks though on a street bob. I have less than half inch clearance on each side. A far as handling, so much better than the stock 21 inch wheel and tire. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Limey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Trippster
I did the same thing on my 07 wide glide and it works just fine. It might not fit between the forks though on a street bob. I have less than half inch clearance on each side. A far as handling, so much better than the stock 21 inch wheel and tire. Good luck.
Thanks for that.

What brand did you fit, and how wide is it at the widest point?

Do you have any photos?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Trippster
Road Captain

Thanks for that.

What brand did you fit, and how wide is it at the widest point?

Do you have any photos?
I used a dulop cruiser tire. I'm at work right now. When I get home I'll measure it for you. Check my profile I think I have pics.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Limey
Tourer

Thanks.

I've just been out and did a rough and ready measurement between the sliders with a tape and it's 155-160mm where I can measure it through the spokes so probably about same where the tyre would sit. Looking too tight for a 150, perhaps a 140 is a better bet, but then I'm sure a 4.5" rim is too wide.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Limey
Tourer

Just looked at your profile pic and that tyre looks massive! Can't see it fitting between the SB forks. Pity

Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put an 18 inch street glide front wheel with a 150/70-18 tire on the front of my Dyna. I can't remember but I think the SG front wheel is 3.5 or 4 inches wide. I've got Wide Glide trees so on a Street Bob it is going to be a tight fit but it should be possible. Here is a link to the thread with pictures.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ront-done.html

Old 10-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Limey
Tourer

Hey Trippster, did you manage to measure how wide that front tyre is at its widest point?

Quick Reply: 150/80x17 on the front of my Street Bob