Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO - Make a fairing for a Fat Bob for less than $200

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM
XKHemi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Can't wait to hear how it does on the highway as far as buffeting.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

sbaalman,
You did an amazing job of not only modifing the fairing to fit but in your very descriptive instructions. My only question is where did you find the fairing for $140 and where did you find a choice of clamps?
Bob

Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 PM
sbaalman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just going over my old posts and realized I never finished this write up. I took pics of how I mounted it and such, but never put them up.

Will take more pics this weekend and put them up showing how I mounted it and how it looks mounted.

Anyway, it's been a year plus change since then and here's where I stand with it after being ridden almost daily.

Still love it, one of the rubber grommets is starting to crack due to me overtightening the screw. Will be replacing it soon. The plexiglass has stood up well, and do not see any stress cracks around the holes where the mounts go through.

It does a great job of blocking the wind on my chest. I do get buffeting around my head. On long rides with a full helmet, my neck gets sore and have a headache from the buffeting. With a half helment, no headache and not as much neck stiffness but lots of wind noise.

Riders how are less than 6' in height will either have less or no buffeting depending on helmet and their height.

I am planning on coming up with an extension for the top to move the air up higher so it goes over my head.

Ideas being considered are;

using a metal bar of some sort to mount a clear plexi windsreen to the top

forming a large sheet of clear plexi to glue underneath the fairing and into mounting structure with extension at top

use current fairing as a base to create a mold and create new fairing with fiberglass and mount a windscreen to the top