Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should've left well enough alone

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default should've left well enough alone

Recently I painted my cycle shack pipes black with hi-temp paint. I was happy with the outcome. But always wanted to improve, I figured I would drill some buckshot holes on the pipes. Did some research, and read how a guy pulled it off with a power drill. So, being the impatient idiot that I am, I got to it. Well, I blew it. Eventhough I tried to keep 'em straight, my holes are all messed up. Now I'll just have to wait after the holidays to purchase another set of heat shields or buy some wrap. I like where I was going with it. I painted the pipes black where the holes were at so there would be a nice contrast between flat black and chrome. I just didn't pull it off. Live and learn.

Attached Thumbnails should've left well enough alone-img-20111223-00069.jpg   should've left well enough alone-img-20111223-00070.jpg  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 AM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it would have worked well with a drill press. It's very hard to drill precisely into a round object becasue the tip of the bit has the tendancy to roll before the hole get started.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know what i read the title and i say that all the time. Hey in the pics the holes dont look bad. I guess in person you feel they dont. Maybe just open the holes a bit. I tried this hole thing with my ac cover. To me it came out great. I first put some blue painters tape down. Then measured out where i wanted the holes. Drilled a small holes. Then with a step bit and a cordless drill i drilled 3/4" holes. After that was done i went and cut out the black backing plate to let in even more air. I like doing things like this. But when i was doing this i wound up drilling into my leg. Not bad but it did catch my thigh. Then i said " why didnt i leave well enough alone".

Hey you said it right " live and learn".

Attached Thumbnails should've left well enough alone-p6130187.jpg   should've left well enough alone-p6130186.jpg   should've left well enough alone-p6130183.jpg  

Last edited by pontiac69; 12-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
tcabello
Tourer

cthagreekgod, I agree. And I have two buddies who own a drill press. Next time I'll take my time.

Last edited by tcabello; 12-23-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 AM
tcabello
Tourer

Originally Posted by pontiac69
You know what i read the title and i say that all the time. Hey in the pics the holes dont look bad. I guess in person you feel they dont. Maybe just open the holes a bit. I tried this hole thing with my ac cover. To me it came out great. I first put some blue painters tape down. Then measured out where i wanted the holes. Drilled a small holes. Then with a step bit and a cordless drill i drilled 3/4" holes.

Hey you said it right " live and learn".
There you go. thats what it should've looked like. I went to Wally World to look for a step bit, the problem was I had no idea what it looks like. Those size holes look real good too.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't feel bad. At least you tried and learned something.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmmm. Solid black heat shields would look good.

Any idea what the first guy who did this did to prevent rusting around the cut-outs... or, to Pontiac69, same question?

I'm not planning on doing any drilling, but just seems like you'd need to put some type of clear coat on the freshly exposed, untreated metal to protect it from the elements.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never seen a step bit at wally world. I use them for work so I tend to look for them.. Nice step bits are expensive but you can get really cheap ones at harbor freight tools.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a dremel to them to make em even, and create a new look. Slots may be an option.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm....looks like a good time to practice with a dremal tool and a rotory file/cutter. Worked good for me when I cut the heat shield for my footboard bracket.

Do the tape thing as suggested earlier, make a template (maybe oval or what ever shaped) and trace it onto the shields. Have at it! you got nothin' to loose.

Best wishes, and Merry Cristmas....Tim(HT)

Quick Reply: should've left well enough alone