Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance said bike isn't totaled..

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 AM
hawtsauce
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance said bike isn't totaled..

About a month ago a BMW did a hit and run on me going about 50 MPH (he didn't see me and he took off once he did)... had a witness on my police report but no ID on the dude's plates so I was stuck paying the deductable to the shop. They did a quick look without checking over the bike thoroughly and estimated the cost of repair and labor to be $4300. What if they find more damage? The bike is in the shop for another month. I've never laid a bike down at that speed... the bike didnt tumble just slid. Should I be worried?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 AM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you settle with the insurance or are you waiting for when you get the bike back? I would never settle until the bike is done and after a test ride.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:04 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

The estimate is an estimate. The insurance company makes a determination on whether or not the bike is totaled, based on the value of the bike vs the cost to repair it. Contrary to popular belief, there is no fixed formula for this. The shop should be working with your insurance company on this.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend of mine did $5,600 in damage to his Street Bob by hitting a parking lot curb at @ 35 mph.
The dealer estimated $3,200 without the two bent front fork tubes and some other obvious stuff.
He didn't like how the dealer was dealing with him so he got it out of there and over to my place.
I pulled the outer primary off and found that the outer part of stator rotor was damaged. I also noticed that the front exhaust heat shield had struck the frame hard enough to imprint into the frame and break off one of the exhaust bolts.
I pulled the rear wheel, swing arm & motor mount to inspect for damage to the transmission housing and found damage to the rear motor mount, everything else looked ok.
These items were submitted as a supplemental estimate which came to $2,400.
State Farm Insurance had no problem approving the additional work and the bike is on its way to being restored to its pre-collision vale.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

That's right a supplemental takes care of the unseen.
I went down once in my life three years ago. The list grew as the repairs went on.
They should of just totaled it and saved me 3 months of waiting.
Had to keep calling and complaining as the riding season passed.
Angry enough not to buy my new bike from them.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:59 AM
skullbob
Novice

I was hit in October, did $6,250 in damage, to an 08 Street Bob with 17,000 miles.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,887 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Find a company that does independant appraisals and have your own done.

I did when I got hit. Cost me right about $100.00. Netted me $1500.00 in diminished value at the of the claim.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skullbob
I was hit in October, did $6,250 in damage, to an 08 Street Bob with 17,000 miles.
My friends bob is an 07 with 65,000 miles on it... it was not totaled.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM
hawtsauce
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies and Merry Christmas by the way!

Of the night, the paramedics let me go and the cops told me to ride home so I did. On the ride back in which my clothes were ripped from shoulder down to toe, I noticed a clanking like sound in the 3rd and lower gears... it was very nerving to hear it. The bike hit on the left side so my exhaust and air cleaner didnt get effed up at all. The transfer case cover was shredded down, shifter bent in, handle bars bent, mirrors and lights out, and just minor fork damage. It honestly looked OK to me but back to the clanking sound... makes me think there is something inside thats wrong. I had it towed to the Harley shop I bought it from and they told me they would take apart the belt case. I am just worried about my 2011 street bob I bought new What if the frame is actually cracked?

Last edited by hawtsauce; 12-25-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:14 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I hit a dog back in September doing 45 m.p.h. My 2011 wide glide also slid about 50 feet. The handlebars hit the pavement so hard the frame bent near the bottom of the neck. $9,000.00 damage. Insurance company would not total the bike. I was also worried about things they may have missed but like the other posts say the supplemental picks up whatever is missed. Got my bike back and drove it like i stole it. Ran the hell out of it to be sure everything is 100%. Then I settled with insurance co.

Quick Reply: Insurance said bike isn't totaled..