Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
djritter
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following this thread for over a year. I own a 2012 FLD that is sitting in the dealership right now, waiting for the factory service rep to look at the bike as the dealer's service manager would like to replace the engine due to excessive vibration. The bike is factory stock, no modifications except that I installed a Road King cruise control, #77197-07.
Exhaust mods don't take care of the vibration on mine and after checking the crank runout, which is at the max acceptable on one side, they'd like to install a new engine.
We'll see how the factory rep feels, and I hope to hear something by the end of the week. Whether or not it gets an engine, it would be nice to have it back in my garage.
Seeing as my REAL bike is disabled, I had to throw together my 1973 XLCH that was going to be a display bike.
After laying in boxes for two years I fired it up the day before Bike Time (Muskegon MI). It fired on the first kick and was running on the third kick.
It ain't pretty with black primer tins but it runs and moves. In fact, it actually turned out to be a nice bike.
It's nice to have something to ride but I like my Switchback.

Attached Thumbnails Switchback vibration-100_2063.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by djritter
I've been following this thread for over a year. I own a 2012 FLD that is sitting in the dealership right now, waiting for the factory service rep to look at the bike as the dealer's service manager would like to replace the engine due to excessive vibration. The bike is factory stock, no modifications except that I installed a Road King cruise control, #77197-07.
Exhaust mods don't take care of the vibration on mine and after checking the crank runout, which is at the max acceptable on one side, they'd like to install a new engine.
My dealer completely removed the muffler on mine to see if the engine was the problem. Test riding it without the muffler demonstrated that the vibration was completely gone. They kept tinkering with the muffler mount and with the stock muffler back on the vibration is 98% gone.

But I'd like to know about the cruise control mod. Will the HD kit work on the FLD without any changes?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
djritter
3rd Gear

Unfortunately, the only thing in the 77197-07 Road King cruise kit that you can use is the servo module/stepper cable, due to the switch modules (touchpads) in the handlebar switch housings.
I had this kit sitting around and used the servo and cable, made a mounting bracket to attach the servo motor under the battery (where the ABS pump fits on an ABS-equipped FLD- no ABS on mine) and purchased 1995-vintage FLH cruise switch housings. These housing take the place of the brake and clutch bracket U-clamps and contain the ON/OFF and SET/RESUME switches.
I called Dave at Cruisemount and asked if he could build me a cruise harness, which he agreed to do. He does not do Sportster or Dyna cruise control kits, but he seemed interested in supplying me with a harness if I gave him the needed measurements.
Shortly after I installed my cruise, a friend wrecked her 2008FLSTN, on which I had installed a complete Cruisemount kit. She bought a Switchback and wanted cruise control so she called Dave at Cruisemount.com and he agreed to sell her a complete kit, incuding the handlebar switch/u-clamps if I would again give him the needed wiring harness dimensions.
The stock stepper cable on the servo motor works on an FLD install, and you do not need to remove the fuel tank to run the wiring up the spine. Remove the rear tank mount bolt, loosen the front bolt and tip the rear of the tank up, supporting the tank with a piece of 1X2 wood. ABS brackets installed on the spine hold the cruise wiring harness very neatly.
I built a cruise harness for the installation on my wife's FLSTN but I wouldn't recommend that someone tackle that project unless they are VERY handy with building harnesses.
Let me know if you would like pictures of my installation.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Originally Posted by djritter
Unfortunately, the only thing in the 77197-07 Road King cruise kit that you can use is the servo module/stepper cable, due to the switch modules (touchpads) in the handlebar switch housings.
I had this kit sitting around and used the servo and cable, made a mounting bracket to attach the servo motor under the battery (where the ABS pump fits on an ABS-equipped FLD- no ABS on mine) and purchased 1995-vintage FLH cruise switch housings. These housing take the place of the brake and clutch bracket U-clamps and contain the ON/OFF and SET/RESUME switches.
I called Dave at Cruisemount and asked if he could build me a cruise harness, which he agreed to do. He does not do Sportster or Dyna cruise control kits, but he seemed interested in supplying me with a harness if I gave him the needed measurements.
Shortly after I installed my cruise, a friend wrecked her 2008FLSTN, on which I had installed a complete Cruisemount kit. She bought a Switchback and wanted cruise control so she called Dave at Cruisemount.com and he agreed to sell her a complete kit, incuding the handlebar switch/u-clamps if I would again give him the needed wiring harness dimensions.
The stock stepper cable on the servo motor works on an FLD install, and you do not need to remove the fuel tank to run the wiring up the spine. Remove the rear tank mount bolt, loosen the front bolt and tip the rear of the tank up, supporting the tank with a piece of 1X2 wood. ABS brackets installed on the spine hold the cruise wiring harness very neatly.
I built a cruise harness for the installation on my wife's FLSTN but I wouldn't recommend that someone tackle that project unless they are VERY handy with building harnesses.
Let me know if you would like pictures of my installation.
Thank you very much for the info!

It's something I'd like to do but it sounds like I'd have to buy the HD kit and the extra parts as well. I'm pretty handy with wiring and mechanicals but my time is limited. Maybe HD will come out with a kit for the FLD. In the meantime maybe I'll get lucky and find a salvaged bike I can rob the cruise parts from for a start.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

How much coin are we talking about here total? $600-700?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM
djritter
3rd Gear

Dave at Cruisemount sold my friend a complete kit which included the servo/stepper cable with rubber isolators and locknuts, set/resume and on/off switches mounted in their respective clamp housings with attachment screws, wiring harness, connectors for rpm/speed sensing wires in the harness, wire ties and wire clamps, and a great set of installlation instructions.
The servo bracket is not included in the Cruisemount kit but I can send pictures and dimensions of the ones I've made for this install.
I found a couple pics of my bike on this computer. This one shows the position of the servo bracket below the battery tray. It is attached to the ABS attachment holes in the downtube. If yours does not have ABS, you will find these holes with plastic plugs inserted in them.
By the way, all H-D big twin throttle bodies have the tab for the cruise stepper cable, whether the bike has cruise or not.
Dave@Cruisemount might still have the wiring harness measurements for my friend's Switchback, which was my second FLD install. If not, I think I might still have the harness dimensions.
As for cost of Cruisemount's kit, I think he has prices on his website. I thought he was very fair on my cruise harness, which I think was $120 delivered (also, it was in the mail the same afternoon that I ordered it. Impressive, as he had to build it from my dimensions).
I didn't get involved in the cost of the kit Dave sold my friend with the FLD as she was chatting with him about price and then gave him her credit card number.

Attached Thumbnails Switchback vibration-100_1745.jpg  

Last edited by djritter; 07-30-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

That sounds reasonable. I will give him a call this week. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM
djritter
3rd Gear

If you're into chrome, quite often you can find the chrome switch clamps on Ebay to replace the black ones that Cruisemount sells.
Here's a thought; if I ride my 73 ironhead long enough I probably won't be able to feel any vibration in the Switchback.
Also, when I ride the Switchback I won't need gas every 100 miles.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer

Ahhhhh the memories! I had an ironhead with the right side shifter.

Only going 100 miles on a tank of gas is a blessing, you get a break.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM
djritter
3rd Gear

Yeah, it's a rush getting used to the right-side shift and again when I jump on my wife's Softail Deluxe.
No word from Sandy's Harley-Davidson as to the disposition of my Switchback. I might call tomorrow and see if they've chatted with the factory rep.
Has anyone bought a D&D Fat Cat with the hush baffle? I had a Fat Cat with the wrapped baffle on my 2009 FLHP and it was louder than I cared for. I'd put a Fat Cat on the Switchback if their hush baffle is quieter than the wrapped one.

Attached Thumbnails Switchback vibration-2012-06-27_14-07-27_172.jpg  

Last edited by djritter; 07-31-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Switchback vibration