Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

don't use float charger on amg battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
capnez
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default don't use float charger on amg battery

I had to buy a new one because of this.I bought a deka etx (same one that comes from Dealership ;eastern battery).I bought a ext20l delivered to house $85.99 310cca from battery mart.com or http://www.bohannonbattery.com was $109.99 + tax at autozone and a lot more at stealership.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

OK, I'll bite...... why not? How are you supposed to keep it charged when the bike sits?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id also like to know how a float charger/ tendered killed a battery???

would the battery not charge?, b/c most chargers have to sense some voltage in a battery before it kicks on. if there is insuffecient voltage (extremly dead battery) in the battery the charger will not kick on. but this is more the batteries fault than the charger.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used floats and tenders for over 20 years. Keeping a parked bike on a tender can extend the life of the battery big time.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on using a trickle charger. I have always during the off season left my battery on the float charger. Never an issue. This is what they are designed for. I would assume there was some other issue.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the original poster may have meant AGM and not AMG. AGM stands for absorbed glass matte.

The link below goes to a frequently asked questions page on the Battery Tender® web site.

This page seems to indicate that the charging cycle for an AGM battery is a little different from other battery types. This also indicates that the Battery Tender® Plus model came out primarily to work with AGM batteries.

They way this reads, it seems to say that using a normal battery charger/maintainer will not fully charge an AGM battery.

http://batterytender.com/resources/f...sked-questions

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
JonV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears The OP also referred to Deka as being manufactured by "Eastern" ... I think he meant East Penn

Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what is the advantage if any to that type of battery?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Everything I've read about it recommends using float type maintenance chargers on gel and agm batteries; I do, and they've worked very well for me. If you have the battery in the vehicle, and something is drawing a current, your battery can go dead with a maintenance charger on it because the charging current is so low. It's normally very cold in winter where I live, so I remove all batteries that won't be used for the winter and store them in the basement to reduce cold stress. I have more batteries than chargers, but just swapping the chargers around every couple or three days keeps them charged just fine.

Attached Thumbnails don't use float charger on amg battery-battery-charging.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,382 Posts

May I suggest to the OP to google Deltran and read up their chargers. They are very reliable. If you deplete an AGM battery they rarely come back, to use a smart charger on a depleted battery it's a crap shoot.

Quick Reply: don't use float charger on amg battery