Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage front wheel on wideglide HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBlaze
PM me a phone number and I can walk you through a quick, easy, fast fix.
Just put a custom front end on my bike using a 2000 Heritage front end and retained my stock switchblade wheels. Different application, but same concept. Had to space the wheel and caliper, and did both without machining anything.

I live in Canada, so giving you my phone number would be long distance but appreciate the offer, what exactly did you do for spacers without machining?
Real curious.

Rob

Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Today i mocked up the Heritage front wheel.with stock wideglide spacers everything bolted up but the wheel was off 1/2 inch towards the brake side, to center the wheel, i will need a 5/8 spacers and a 1 1/4 spacer for the brake side and 1/4 spacers for the brake caliper, doing this will center the wheel. And axle size is 3/4

Anyone here capable of making these spacers, i can paypal for these but would like ASAP

Cheers
When spoked wheels are laced, there is a specification called "The Offset" That is how far left or right of center the rim is in relationship to the hub. The offset may be 1/2" for the bike it came from. You can change the offset yourself (1/2" is actually an easy fix).

On the side of the rim that is too close to the fork slider, put a piece of white tape on each spoke laced to that side of the hub. Put a piece of black tape on each spoke laced to the other side of the hub.

Loosen the spoke nipple one half turn on every "white" spoke, then tighten every black spoke one half turn. Repeat until the rim is centered between the forks. 1/2" change will probably be about three trips around the spokes.

Last edited by AFMM3; 04-07-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AFMM3
When spoked wheels are laced, there is a specification called "The Offset" That is how far left or right of center the rim is in relationship to the hub. The offset may be 1/2" for the bike it came from. You can change the offset yourself (1/2" is actually an easy fix).

On the side of the rim that is too close to the fork slider, put a piece of white tape on each spoke laced to that side of the hub. Put a piece of black tape on each spoke laced to the other side of the hub.

Loosen the spoke nipple one turn on every "white" spoke, then tighten every black spoke one turn. Repeat until the rim is centered between the forks. 1/2" change will probably be about three trips around the spokes.
THX AFMM3 , great tip,i only need to offset rim 1/4 to make even on both sides, i have never laced or trued a wheel in my life, will doing this keep my wheel true, one thing i did notice is the heritage fork lower brake side, the caliper mount is closer to the wheel than my wide glide, that is most likely where the mounting differences are coming from.

Cheers

Last edited by Robtarra39; 04-07-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

If all spoke turns are the same, the true should stay (assuming it was true in the first place). If everything bolted up as you say but the rim was offset by 1/2 inch, this should take care of you.

Harbor Freight has a truing stand for $39 and Dial Indicator for maybe $49. I used this when I built my wheels. I spent the time to learn how to do this and my wheels are now 3 times more true than the factory specifications are. Smooth as glass.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Danny Higdon Sylo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'm going to do to my wide glide. If you are still part of this site, did it work okay!

Old 09-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Danny Higdon Sylo
This is what I'm going to do to my wide glide. If you are still part of this site, did it work okay!

Yes I'm still here, and see my sig pic and you will notice I am running a heritage wheel on my bike, had to get new spacers and a 1/4 inch rotor spacer to line up with my caliper and stock lower legs.