Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a lot more 2-up riding, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Told my missus my Street Bob not designed for 2 up riding otherwise they'd have put a seat for a pillion and foot rest on it as standard. That way I don't get her messing up my 'own' time with my buddies.

I love just kicking back and heading out on my own at the weekend and stopping somewhere I want and jawing with whomever.

Still married after 32 years so must be working

Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
clang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What kind of shocks are you using? Did you do anything to the front-end suspension?"

I picked them up off craigslist locally from a guy who put Pregressives on his 2007 Electra Glide. Supposedly had <5k miles when removed. I picked up valve stems on line (*bay, but I think there are other even less expensive options). Make sure you use pipe dope (not teflon thread) when installing or you might leak air. You also need to buy a shock specific pump (the $29.99 one from *bay works fine). About $100 total investment with pump. VERY NICE adjustable ride: 18-20 psi solo and 30 psi 2 up.

I did not do anything to the front suspension yet, but 2 up puts most the added weight on the back wheel. Next Winter might add Progrssive HD springs up front.

"And what kind of saddlebags are those?"

They are HD and came with the bike when I bought it used. They were hard mounted and I converted to removable with a set of Bare Backs (about $150 with caps). If I was going to do it again I might go the cheap route and make them removable with threaded rod and acorn nuts - look in the under $50 section.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my 2-up 2009 Street Bob. My wife and I ride together 90% of the time and we do 500-600mile days pretty regulat on this. Biggest improvement to get first is shocks.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AFMM3
If I was allowed only one bike, it would be a Road King. It is the best compromise of everything you need and most of what you could want.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
Here is my 2-up 2009 Street Bob. My wife and I ride together 90% of the time and we do 500-600mile days pretty regulat on this. Biggest improvement to get first is shocks.
Pics?

I know I've seen it in other posts, but I don't remember it right now.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Purchased a luggage rack, and they can't seem to make it fit. Nothing seems to fit because of my WG sissybar. I was hoping that a luggage rack would alleviate some the carrying capacity issues.

I'm taking that as a small sign and I am going to look at a few Road Kings this weekend. Right now I'm just looking and testing the waters....

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD Street Bob
Pics?

I know I've seen it in other posts, but I don't remember it right now.

Sorry. My sig does not show when I post from my phone apparently. Lots of photos in my profile albums.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sort of in the the same boat, I want to ride more so that means wife needs to ride more to. I ended up buying a larger pass pillion and that helped alot but did not fix the issue so I just picked up the detachable tall sissy bar and the back pad so she should be set now. Shocks are lowered 1" so the ride will never be great but I can't turn my wide glide into something its not. However the wife and I are both vertically challenged I am only 5'6" about 175 and she is 5' around 110 so the bike/shocks donlt have to support much weight so we seem to be good in that dept. If you really like you bike go with a new pass pad and a taller detachable sissy bar and you should be golden for most rides.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Street Bob
Purchased a luggage rack, and they can't seem to make it fit. Nothing seems to fit because of my WG sissybar. I was hoping that a luggage rack would alleviate some the carrying capacity issues.

I'm taking that as a small sign and I am going to look at a few Road Kings this weekend. Right now I'm just looking and testing the waters....
Somewhere between a poorly chosen luggage rack and a brand new Road King is a sensible solution.

It's EZ to throw 10's of $1,000's at a problem (big motor, new suspension, new luxury touring bike, ...) If you use your head you can make your bike comfortable for your wife for way less than $1,000.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U can spend as much or as little as u like. Search for good deals. A good taller sissy bar and seat should be first. I then swapped to bags and a tour pack. And just upgraded suspension last week. road king would e nice. But all that's detachable so I still have my streetbob during the week riding. Best of both worlds

Quick Reply: Doing a lot more 2-up riding, need help...