Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a lot more 2-up riding, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Doing a lot more 2-up riding, need help...

My GF really loves being the back of my bike (Street Bob). And I'm really enjoying it too. Short trips or longer trips, shes with me and it's great. The SB wasn't really designed for this much 2-up riding. I have a Sundowner 2-up seat, and a WG sissy bar. She doesn't complain, but I'm wondering what I should do to make it more comfortable for both of us.

Option 1: Trade it in a get a RK, SG, or Heritage (although I wonder the Hertiage for a lot of 2-up riding). I have some cash to go along with the trade-in too. I'm not sure I'm ready for a heavy tourer, but I think I could get used to it.

Option 2: Upgrade the front and rear suspension, get a better sissy bar, and add some decent saddlebags. I project it would cost about $1,500-2,000 for those items.

I really love me bike, but I want her to be more comfortable too and make it easier to pack basic items for a day on the road.

Just looking for thoughts and options. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
BftXJ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly for good suspension you looking at close to your projected budget.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

i have an 06 wide glide, and I ride 2 up all the time. I got a nice seat for my wife and put a larger sissy bar pad on the back. Also got the synthetic leather saddle bags, and we take it on 4+ hour rides and don't have any trouble.

The heritage is what I'd like to bump to eventually, I'm not looking for an FLH tourer just yet! but good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd get the Road King, the touring bikes ride real nice two up. I made the mistake of renting a few to go on some longer rides with my wife and now she absolutely hates getting on my bike. It's gonna work in my favor though cause we're looking at adding a touring bike next year.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
springer3
Tourer

I think it depends on yall and how big you and her are!!Your bike will never be a touring bike but you can make some adjustments for confert but if your are getting in to the long trips and can afford to upgrade i would look at the road king as its not a top heavy bike and wont take much getting use to but on the other hand hard tails werent made for touring and there running a 3000 mile race on them in June and there are alot of guys that made them work for long trips youth and size are the key if your young and skinny then slap the baggs on your if your older and bigger then up grade and you will never look back!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
valter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spend the 2000 on a used rebel, and she can have her own bike! lol, no, i hear ya, wife and I do alot of riding on my WG, been through the sundowner, have a decent back rest, mini floor boards...truth is, I did want to get a SG, or a RG, but, at the time, couldnt affort the 21K base price for the 103 upgrade and what not, glad i didnt get it either, cause you know they came out standard 103...

anyhow, being in the same shoes as you, I would say get a better sissybar/back rest, and a little better suspension, maybe air ride ride from a touring bike, can find them for around 50-100 on the forum, or ebay. IF its good enough for them, why not us? no need to spend a grand on the best suspension out there...

I will be looking into the SG/RG in the next couple of years, but wouldnt trade in my WG.

just my opinion.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I think it depends on yall and how big you and her are!!
Good point - I'm 6'1" and 210, she's close to 5'11" and 150. So definitely two taller people for sure.

And Valter, I will have to look at a used touring suspension. Good idea. I looked at Progressive, and their new, fully adjustable shocks are about $750.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM
testifer
Road Master

i have to be honest here, the touring shocks on the 2009 and up really suck. they are stiff and not like the 2008. my 2008 road king was hands down a much better ride then my electra glide classic. the eg was the newer frame and suspension. if the street bob had the touring seat and lower floor boards for the driver and passenger, i would rather tour with that. the heritage for the money, dont waste your money. ride like crap. the best value in the hd line up are the street bob, and the electra glide classic. the street glide is not a touring bike, expensive you get alot less and drives like the heritage, it might look cool, but a waste of money in my opinion. i have no problem with the street bob, if i really want to do serious touring, i would just find away to add floor boards for front and back and a tad lower on the bracket so your knees are not in your chest

Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I tour with the wife on my Ultra Classic and she loves it. I tour alone on my Street Bob, but as you can see, there isn't much Street Bob left in it. I have said many times, If I was allowed only one bike, it would be a Road King. It is the best compromise of everything you need and most of what you could want.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Option #3--Change seat and sissy-bar; add throw-over saddlebags. Around $600.

Quick Reply: Doing a lot more 2-up riding, need help...