Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Rider, need stuff - bags, floorboards, maybe even a fairing, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 AM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low Rider, need stuff - bags, floorboards, maybe even a fairing, worth it?

I wanted a bike for a long time, the way I am it had to be a Harley. I ended up buying this '03 Dyna Low Rider < 6K in nice condition with 14K miles, is an anniversary addition. I put some tires on it, at this point I'm looking at it like I've got $6500 into it.

Originally I thought I wanted something simple and stripped down. Now I'm realizing going 45 miles to work on a 4 lane highway sucks without anything to block the wind and although the forward controls are very comfortable the pegs and position still hurt after awhile.. Also I really prefer to be minus the backpack..

At the same time I don't really want something totally dressed out. When looking around it appears for < $2500 on the high end I could add a set of floorboards ($400), a fairing ($900), and bags ($900).. Which could be done cheaper if I wait until a good deal comes up... Is it worth going this route or should I plan to dump the bike and buy something else?

Does anyone have recommendations on those items?

On the floorboards I'm thinking something that mounts behind the current controls which can be folded up when I'm off the highway, just something to rest my feet when I don't want to stretch my legs out anymore. I'd like to leave the current controls as-is..

On the bags I don't care who makes them or if they are hard or soft, waterproof, locking etc.. I just want something that attaches to the rails on the fender and matches the bike. I'm currently returning something that I bought which slanted but didn't follow the angle of the shock right and looked stupid.

As far as a fairing, was looking at some in that 1K range for my model that came fitted with a radio, that looks really sweet. It doesn't need to block 100% of the wind but something to take the sting out of it is what I need. I'd be open to something more sleek and cheaper minus the radio, but do not want a silly looking windshield.

Any ideas, what do you think?

Thanks,

Jon

Attached Thumbnails Low Rider, need stuff - bags, floorboards, maybe even a fairing, worth it?-1.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 AM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is 1 possible combo for well under $2500

Fairings - eBay audio fairing
Footpegs - eBay stirrup pegs
Bags - Price depends on whether you want leather soft bags or composite hard bags. You can get leather bags for down around $200 and get Edge brackets for $150 (these brackets will work with hard bags too). If you want hard bags you will pay more for Harley brand ones unless you look for used.

On the low end you could do all of it for under a grand. The fairing you will likely have to make some adapter brackets or get a bracket kit from one of the companies that makes them. You could also go with a batwing from Memphis shades and go with handle bar mounted speakers like Hogtunes or Boom Audio. I have those same stirrup pegs on my Fat Bob which are just knock offs of Kuryakyn Iso stirrups and they are really comfortable with forwards cause they support your heel as well as your arch on the peg. I got some Harley Road King police bags from the classifieds on here for under $500 and mounted them with Edge brackets. Lots of good deals floating around just have to do some homework. Research what will fit on your model bike or who makes adapters and then keep an eye on eBay, craigslist, and the various Harley forums for whats out there.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 AM
leaky
Cruiser

Hey thanks, really appreciate that... Stupid question though, I don't get the stirrups, could you describe how that works?

I think the issue with me and the forward controls is I've got really short legs. At 5 7 I sit next to a guy who's 6 ft at the bar and look eye to eye haha..

Still I like the forward controls but really could use another option to rest my legs for the long haul.

Jon

Old 06-02-2012, 02:48 AM
leaky
Cruiser

Looking at the picture maybe I get it, the extra little piece goes in the back and your heel sits in between so your foot can't get pushed off?

Jon

Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 AM
xantasm
Supporter

Originally Posted by leaky
Hey thanks, really appreciate that... Stupid question though, I don't get the stirrups, could you describe how that works?

Jon
Originally Posted by leaky
Looking at the picture maybe I get it, the extra little piece goes in the back and your heel sits in between so your foot can't get pushed off?

Jon
The stirrups just add a heel rest (that your heel rests on, not in front of or behind) that extends back from the peg putting some of your resting leg weight on the heel instead of just on the arch plus it helps reduce the constant sliding outward of your foot you get with regular pegs from vibration on longer rides. If you want ones with heel rests that fold forward into the peg you can try the Kuryakyn site and look at the switchblades and several others but I have heard mixed reviews of the folding ones so I would really recommend doing a search on whatever named ones your looking at. You can also get mini floorboards that use your stock peg mount and an adjustable rotating positional arm. Lots of options.

Universal Adjustable Mini-Floorboards

You can also look into getting a reduced reach kit for your forwards that will bring them back about 2" or get a reduced reach seat which will bring your riding position forward making the forwards easier to reach either way. C&C, Le para, Corbin, and several others can make you a reduced reach seat. I have a C&C with backrest on mine that brings me a few inches forward and since the Fat Bob has one of the longest reach forwards setups on any Harley that helps quite a bit for me which is why I took my reduced reach for forwards kit off.

Last edited by xantasm; 06-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
jram67
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are 5' 7" with short legs you would probably be a lot better with the original mid controls and forward pegs that the lowrider came stock with.
Just like in this pic. I am 5' 10" (30" inseam) and love this combo. The mids offer great control for aggressive riding and I can stretch out anytime I like.
You could probably swap even money with someone on this forum.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
roofer
Road Master

Here is my 03 lowrider and I love my floorboards and the way I have it set up, all I need now is a fairing

Attached Thumbnails Low Rider, need stuff - bags, floorboards, maybe even a fairing, worth it?-lr.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Leaky,
Like stated you can go with stirrups on the forward controls, get the reduced reach kit for forwards go with mid controls and forward highway pegs, or just put the mid pegs and brackets on with out the controls. Instead of a fairing you have an option for a quality wind shield which could be quick detachable, stereo not as easy this way? and instead of bags a
removable sissybar with luggage rack and a day-bag or tour-pac, or your backpack etc. just some options for way under the 2500 stated and same result with your ride still being a convertible? hope I did not confuse ya, there are alot of options

Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too ride an 80+ mi. round-trip commute, and 'am a 365 rider (By choice). And I got to tell you; Comfort is essential if you are in it for the "long haul".

I started out with a HD QD windshield, and still have it today. It is much less than a fairing.

Next was the forward controls. Although the "cool" factor was up there, IMO, Even with the the stirrups they weren't what I was looking for in the long run. Kinda a PITA, on a long trip.

After that was the saddle bags. I rode one time with a back pack, and promised myself I,d never do that again! Also a PITA with big comfort issues.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, There are may options out there, it all depends on what you are looking for. You can get a good set of "throw-over" bags for !00-200 bucks that will do. A windshield for 300-400 bucks, and the foot rest situation.....well, that's kinda upto you. It all depends aon what you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend. You could find a lot of this stuff here, on the Forums-classifieds for a lot less.

If you're going for "top-shelf" (New) stuff...Then your amounts are pritty much spot-on.

Hope This helps.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 06-02-2012, 06:37 PM
leaky
Cruiser

Thanks to all for your input, really appreciate it as I'm new to this..

The bike as-is I actually find very comfortable, just once I get out in the 65+ MPH wind it's a killer. There's a set of 6 inch pullbacks in the bikes future too, which should help me lean back more and that will also make the controls feel closer I think. My girlfriends bike has mids and I find it even more painful, all I ever want to do is stretch my legs out on that, kills my knees worse than the forwards do to my legs.

I like the idea of adding some mid pegs or boards without moving the controls, but I want them to fold up when not in use. Does anyone have a recommendation for boards that do that which will fit my bike? I'd like to use something small like you see for passengers but searching online I can't make heads or tails out of what will fit my bike?

As far as bags, I'm returning a set of Saddlemen I bought. I want something that bolts on instead of the throw-over, just wasn't happy with that fit. Throw-over just seems inferior to something that uses the fender rails and I didn't like how the slant wasn't following the rear shocks. I'd like to find bags that either are just squared off so they don't follow the shock at all or that have the correct angle, and that bolt on.. Any suggestions on a model or how to search Ebay knowing what's gonna fit my bike, not sure if something off say of a 2007 Dyna Low Rider would even fit? Again, I can't make heads or tails out of what's gonna fit and what won't, although there seems to be plenty of second hand stuff out there.

Thanks,

Jon

Quick Reply: Low Rider, need stuff - bags, floorboards, maybe even a fairing, worth it?