Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Normal Dyna Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
CPTNRSK
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I took my 11 wide glide to my dealer and talked to the about the vibes and all the talk I read about the front motor mount. They said to bring it in and they will look at it. So did. They said that this is a common issue and that they can replace but they suggested that they shave it to get the proper spacing between the rubber and the mount. This helped a lot.
My dealership is trying to push part sales. I spent a day waiting for them to do the service bulletin on the mount and at the end of the day they decided to try and convince me it was a slight and I mean slight bulge in the front wheel. They just did not want to do the work without getting something out of me for it. When I go down the road and get to the vibration and pull in the clutch and all the vibration is gone, guess what its not the front wheel!

Im just going to do it myself. FU*( EM

Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary 2012 FXDC
30 mph in 3rd gear is not lugging the motor if its not under a high load...on level ground with a steady speed(30) isn't lugging. I get the same vibration.
Correct. I can go into 3rd at 25 and still not lug the motor. Only on uphill climbs does it start to lug. (Which, coincidentally, is also the suggested shift point in the manual).

I'm guessing that some people don't know what lugging is. It's not merely vibration--it's a bucking of the bike itself.

My other bike can go into 6th at 35 MPH but, well, it has a lot more HP.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Wide Glide 25
Cruiser

I have an '11 Dyna and it's basically just how you described yours. At idle there is a vibration and thats because its the Twin Cam A tha's not balanced. My buddy has a Street Bob and its the same way. Once you get moving the vibration smoothes out and it rides nice. Sounds like a typical Dyna to me.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by retxpres
I have read many threads here on this forum. Some people claim they have no vibration others claim that there bikes vibrate in high gears at high speeds.
Well, my 2011 Wide Glide seems to vibrate in low gears at low RPMs. As I get going everything seems to level off and it is very smooth. I would say that first and second gear are the worst. I feel the vibes on the bars and pegs. I have stock forward controls. Maybe the position of the pegs give more vibes then mid-controlled pegs. Is this normal?
I have checked my front rubber mount. I have loosened the two bolts and check to see if there is a space between the frame and mount. I have no space...
Has anyone else found that they had no space here? Most people claim they found a space...
I have checked my tire pressure. Tires are set to factory specifications. 30 psi front and 40 psi rear. This bike has a hard ride to it, you feel everything on the road at low speed. Suspension is stock...
I am going to loosen the exhaust mount and see if this helps any. Maybe the vibes are normal? I do not know. So, back to the question. What is normal vibrations?

PM sent.

Motor mount issues have been nagging the Dyna's for years.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I shimmed my front mount, made a hell of a difference.

The following users liked this post:
mtbmikeb (10-09-2020)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

My dyna only vibrates at stops and just starting. Over 20mph, my mirrors are completely usable and it only gets smoother as I gain speed. My shift points are about 20-25 to 2nd, 35-40 to third, 45-50 for 4th 55-60 for 5th. I will back off on the throttle and cruise using the general rule where the first number of your speed corresponds to your gear, those are just my shifting points, and I have no lugging problems. Sometimes city driving is annoying trying to figure out whether is should be in 3rd or fourth. It seems like I'm revving too high in 3rd but lugging in 4th when the speed limit is 35 and I'm driving 42. I have no tach so who knows. My only mods are a stage 1 with V&H Short Shots otherwise stock. I feel that my bike vibrates the way its supposed to so if you have something different, you need to get it looked at. This forum has taught me where to shift, and not to lug the Twin Cam and it makes a huge difference from when I first got the bike.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 AM
override
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I was actually wondering what is considered normal vibration myself. I don't have any problems until I get into 6th gear though. I can ride 5th gear anywhere between 60-70 and feel normal vibrations but once I am at 70 and shift to 6th the whole bike vibrates. It's more of a lug feeling though like I am to slow for 6th gear at 70. Now the lug feeling stays minimal if I hold the same speed even as low as 65 as long as I hold it it's not bad. Once I try to accelerate the lug comes back until I hit about 75, then it feels normal again.

Now I have noticed if I accelerate slowly the lug stays minimal but If I need to grab a handfull to pass or just catch up to speed it will lug for a few seconds and then level out. Usually once I get past 70 it starts leveling out under acceleration.

As for the owners manual for my bike I disagree with the upshift speeds. I feel the shift speeds are on the low side. Especially 5th to 6th which is supposed to be at 55mph, I find myself staying in 5th gear up until 65-70. From first to second they say 15mph but I don't shift until 20mph. 2nd to 3rd says 25 but Im not usually into 3rd until about 35mph. So it has made me wonder if something is different or wrong with my bike, I do have a wider tire but as far as I know it's the stock height.

I have not looked but I wonder if Harley offers different sized sprockets, maybe going a tooth smaller would help get the RPM's up enough to eliminate the lug feeling.

Last edited by override; 11-08-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 PM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm finding a minor hi frequency vibe in the 2700 to 3000 range in the higher gears. In lower gears it isn't as noticeable as you pass thru it quickly. Above 3500 it's as smooth as silk to red line. Going thru the mountains I'm now leaving it in the 3.5 to 4.5 rev range in 2, 3rd maybe 4th and it's like riding a duke..great fun... Cruising at highway speeds I rarely get over the 2600 rev in 6th so it still smooth. I have removed the front mount, shaved the top down a bit and bolted to the frame first with a 5mm spacer, then lowered the motor down to it and bolted it up. This has eliminated any stretching on the rubber part of the mount, so it soaks up the vibes. If you do space the front mount, ensure you use longer bolts, as you can strip the mounts inside the rubber if not enough thread catching. Voice of experience ...LOL...

The following users liked this post:
mtbmikeb (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 02:48 PM
mtbmikeb
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. This is a great fix. I have about 5mm worth of washers in my front mount (longer bolts) and it made a heluva difference.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,406 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbmikeb
Yep. This is a great fix. I have about 5mm worth of washers in my front mount (longer bolts) and it made a heluva difference.
You're kiddin' right?

Quick Reply: What is Normal Dyna Vibration?