Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna / Sportster comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 AM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode my Dad's 1200 Sporty for a summer while my Scrambler 900 was being modified and then the next year I bought a Fat Bob. Hands down no comparison would take the Fat Bob over a sportster any day for any kind of riding. I have met many Dyna and Softail riders who started out on a Sportster or used to own one and then decided it just wasn't enough. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You will love the Dyna.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I have both. An XR1200 & an FXDF. Totally different feel. The Dyna is fun for what it is, lots of room, good highway bike, ok around town. But, it's slow.... The XR with over 90 hp stock and lighter weight is much more fun to ride around. Dynas are the most fun big twins from an XL/XR perspective just remember that they are way heavier and to get similar straight line performance from a twin cam is going to cost you some $$.

Two totally different bikes, both great, just different. Get the FXDC and get another Sporty too.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arejay86
my FXD has no chrome on the motor but isn't black either, its silver powder coat which i like cause it hides road grime
I agree with the silver powder coat. I have chromed my engine out and to me chrome on the silver looks good.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

Just like their names....Ones sporty and one dynamic. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
markrumsfield
Tourer

I had a Sportster like yours for a little over 4 years and then I got my Dyna. Suspension on the Dyna is much better than the Sportster but it still has a lot of shortcomings. I have been running stock suspension for over 5 years now so I dont think its something you have to do right away but I am sure I will upgrade mine eventually. Dyna will be slower than your Sportster but still just as fun to ride. I never understood the whole Sportser on steriods thing, to me they feel like completely different bikes but both are a lot of fun to ride, way better handleing than a Softail. You might want to ride one first, but I say go for the Dyna it is the perfect bike IMO...

Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 PM
malla1962
Advanced

interesting post, i myself traded a 08 1200c stage one tuned for a 05 wide glide, on a run the sportster was not great in my opinion but great fun tearing up the tarmack round town, it was very fast on take off but very revy and the noise was anoying on a run, the WG on the other hand is just fun what ever i do with it, I can live with that nice deep sound and the torque is un real.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM
grumpyoledude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 1200 Custom to a FXDC and there is no comparison. The suspension on the 1200 was terrible. Always bottomed out even when set at the highest. The 5 speed was nice in town but a pain on the highway. No suspension problems on the Dyna and the 6 speed is so nice on the interstate. The gas mileage is even a bit better than the Sporty. The only problem I had with the Dyna was the position of the shifter and rear brake. Installed forward controls and haven't looked back. One of the nicest bikes I've owned. (Can you tell I really, really like my Dnya?)
Grumpy

Old 06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Smile

I went from an 02 883 to an 05 lowrider
Night and day the sportster was alot of fun around town but on the highway the dyna shines
great all around ride on the dyna, The sportster I had was a rigid mounted motor so the vibes where quite a bit more then the current sportsters.
Only suspension upgrades I have down to my dyna is 1 inch lower progressive shocks in the rear due to being vertically challenged.
oh and the 88tc in my dyna just has a stage 1 with a PCIII plenty of power big difference from the 883.
at some point in the future I may opt for cams a dyno tune and a 2-1 but its just fine, could not imagine a 96 with 6 speed and a stage 1
would not be fine there is alot of them out there.
carl

Last edited by rowan; 06-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
Hello all,

I've been a forum member for several years and I spend the majority of my time in the Sportster section. I usually ride around 10k miles in a year and I need a more comfortable ride. I've tried to ride a Softail before and didn't like the feel. Lately I've been seriously considering moving up to a Super Glide Custom or Street Bob for next season. I've read many comparisons between the Sporty and Dyna, many saying the the Dyna is like a Sportster on steroids.

I'm interested in how the stock suspension compares to the Sportster stock suspension. It's a given that the majority of Sporty riders perform an upgrade, is this necessary with a Dyna?

Second, I would plan to do a Stage 1 - how does the power / weight ratio compare to a similarly worked Sportster? I'm planning on a 96" 6 speed. If I go with a FXDC, I'd be looking at '10-'12 models with the blacked out engine.

Like I mentioned, I've spend very little time in the Dyna section so I'm looking for some advice on how the two bikes compare. Thanks for any and all replies.
Sportsters are chick bikes that are smaller all around: smaller frame, smaller engine. Within a year or two of buying a Sportster you will want to upgrade to a big-boy bike such as a Dyna. Any other questions?

Quick Reply: Dyna / Sportster comparison