Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna / Sportster comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dyna / Sportster comparison

Hello all,

I've been a forum member for several years and I spend the majority of my time in the Sportster section. I usually ride around 10k miles in a year and I need a more comfortable ride. I've tried to ride a Softail before and didn't like the feel. Lately I've been seriously considering moving up to a Super Glide Custom or Street Bob for next season. I've read many comparisons between the Sporty and Dyna, many saying the the Dyna is like a Sportster on steroids.

I'm interested in how the stock suspension compares to the Sportster stock suspension. It's a given that the majority of Sporty riders perform an upgrade, is this necessary with a Dyna?

Second, I would plan to do a Stage 1 - how does the power / weight ratio compare to a similarly worked Sportster? I'm planning on a 96" 6 speed. If I go with a FXDC, I'd be looking at '10-'12 models with the blacked out engine.

Like I mentioned, I've spend very little time in the Dyna section so I'm looking for some advice on how the two bikes compare. Thanks for any and all replies.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My first bike was a 2006 sporty and my second a 2011 dyna superglide.

When I first got the superglide stock, my sporty would have tore it up in a race. Now that I have the 2-1 pipes, the A/C and have had it tuned...the dyna would smoke the sporty.

When I first picked up the dyna it was a natural switch from the sporty. It felt right and similiar but much smoother, much sturdier, ride.

After putting on those kinda miles in a sportster you will be very happy with the suspension on the dyna. But just like anything else you will soon realize it could be better and want to do the same type of upgrades on the dyna.

The biggest difference is at higher freeway speeds. I could never really relax on the freeway. I always felt the motor was screaming and the ride to me was bearable after the suspension upgrades but not even tolerable before. The six speed and a little more wieght makes a huge difference. I find myself cruising at 80 most of the time.

You will never look back once you get the new dyna the way you want it. If you buy new you will be disapointed with the stock set up but once you do stage one it really wakes up.

One thing to keep in mind....Your looking at close to 1500 bucks for stage one on fuel injected...You will need a tuner for optimum performance, no simple 3.00 jet change

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
...One thing to keep in mind....Your looking at close to 1500 bucks for stage one on fuel injected...You will need a tuner for optimum performance, no simple 3.00 jet change
Shouldn't have to be quite that expensive. Slip-on's and a K&N intake kit might run $500? TTS tuner which allows you to re-map the bike as you ride (rather than pay for dyno time) is what $400?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1500 isn't a benchmark. Totally depends on what exhaust you want to run. Granted short shorts and other 2 into 2 exhaust don't generate the most power but I spent around $750 for "stage 1."

Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
Hello all,

I've been a forum member for several years and I spend the majority of my time in the Sportster section. I usually ride around 10k miles in a year and I need a more comfortable ride. I've tried to ride a Softail before and didn't like the feel. Lately I've been seriously considering moving up to a Super Glide Custom or Street Bob for next season. I've read many comparisons between the Sporty and Dyna, many saying the the Dyna is like a Sportster on steroids.

I'm interested in how the stock suspension compares to the Sportster stock suspension. It's a given that the majority of Sporty riders perform an upgrade, is this necessary with a Dyna?

Second, I would plan to do a Stage 1 - how does the power / weight ratio compare to a similarly worked Sportster? I'm planning on a 96" 6 speed. If I go with a FXDC, I'd be looking at '10-'12 models with the blacked out engine.

Like I mentioned, I've spend very little time in the Dyna section so I'm looking for some advice on how the two bikes compare. Thanks for any and all replies.
The Superglide is closest to the Sportster. The dyna family runs from the Fat Bob to the Wide Glide with the Street Bob and Super Glide about in the middle.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-26-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will just say this...I has a pristine 883/1200 98 Sportster. Then I bought and 06 Street Bob, dumped a lot of money into the SB and didn't ride Sportster.

Get something in a newer Big Twin and be happy

Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 AM
waverly
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooti
My first bike was a 2006 sporty and my second a 2011 dyna superglide.

When I first got the superglide stock, my sporty would have tore it up in a race. Now that I have the 2-1 pipes, the A/C and have had it tuned...the dyna would smoke the sporty.

When I first picked up the dyna it was a natural switch from the sporty. It felt right and similiar but much smoother, much sturdier, ride.

After putting on those kinda miles in a sportster you will be very happy with the suspension on the dyna. But just like anything else you will soon realize it could be better and want to do the same type of upgrades on the dyna.

The biggest difference is at higher freeway speeds. I could never really relax on the freeway. I always felt the motor was screaming and the ride to me was bearable after the suspension upgrades but not even tolerable before. The six speed and a little more wieght makes a huge difference. I find myself cruising at 80 most of the time.

You will never look back once you get the new dyna the way you want it. If you buy new you will be disapointed with the stock set up but once you do stage one it really wakes up.

One thing to keep in mind....Your looking at close to 1500 bucks for stage one on fuel injected...You will need a tuner for optimum performance, no simple 3.00 jet change
^ couldn't really add much more to that, pretty much exactly how I felt. I came off of a '09 nightster and now have a '12 street bob. Off the line I think the sporty might have an edge, but no comparison over 50mph / passing on the hwy. Both bikes have/had stage 1/intake & exhaust.

There is no comparison on the suspension and ride quality between the two- dyna is a better, more comfortable machine all around, imo. I am 5'10" and around 175lbs and feel totally comfortable on the street bob. I have, however, put on a mustang tripper seat and highway pegs. Next mod will be 14" apes and I cant wait.

If you make the switch I do believe you will be happy. Best of luck

Old 06-27-2012, 12:56 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

the suspension isnt necessary but dumping the oem and installing quality shocks an a Dyna really improves the ride

Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 AM
arejay86
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've tooled around on friends sportsters and my dyna, and the dyna is night n day diff... the major diff you will notice is the highway speed cruising... considering the original dynas were touring frames with sporty forks, it makes sense that the new dynas handle town like sporty n highway like a bagger... or better, but thats my opinion... i dont believe you can get a custom with the black motor... thats what sets the custom apart from the rest of the dyna fam at this point... my FXD has no chrome on the motor but isn't black either, its silver powder coat which i like cause it hides road grime

Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I went from a 06 883c to a 2012 FDXC back in April and I don't believe I'll ever own another Sportster unless it's just a toy. The Super is miles ahead in power and ride. Highway riding is great. And still can squirt around city streets.

Quick Reply: Dyna / Sportster comparison