Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
I'm running the pcv and I've gotta say I'm not thrilled with the way my bike runs. It's been on a dyno 3 times and has never felt perfect to me.

Is there something better out there for our bikes?

What are you all running?
Really? I'm using a pcv as well on my cammed 106 and I couldn't be happier. It's not the product that is the problem,it's the guy who is doing the tuning.
As long as the tuning device has the same tuning options as it's competitors,whether it's an inline

Old 09-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by toastman
I'm running the pcv and I've gotta say I'm not thrilled with the way my bike runs. It's been on a dyno 3 times and has never felt perfect to me.

Is there something better out there for our bikes?

What are you all running?
Really? I'm using a pcv as well on my cammed 106 and I couldn't be happier. It's not the product that is the problem,it's the guy who is doing the tuning.
As long as the tuning device has the same tuning options as it's competitors,whether it's an inline like the pcv or a flash type like the screaming eagle model then they will all do the same thing. It's the guy doing the tuning that's the problem.
My 106 has 107hp/115tq. I get 50 mpg on the highway.
I'd look in to a different tuner,not tuning device

Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

This thread has it pretty much figured. No way should you need 3 dyno runs. Hell my bike needed a complete custom tune because of the cams and big bore. My dyno guy had it on the dyno for an hour. In that time he had all the a/f ratios figured out and pretty much had the bike dialed right in.
Take the bike elsewhere. 3 times with no other added mods is a joke. You are getting ripped off. I'd be in there complaining and getting it tuned for free. 3 times. Incompetent tuner,period,not the tuning devices fault the guy inputting the values is retarded

Old 09-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I usually agree with most of your comments, so I have to ask, have you ever run the TMax?
In my experience they are head and shoulders above the rest for ease of use and performance.
I admit that I haven't. Its one of the few Harley tuners I've never had first-hand experience with.

I have read up on it and it does look very good and I have only heard good things about it. They seem to have a big library of canned maps, much better than with the SEPST.

However, it is over-hyped by the makers. Yes, you can add wideband sensors and so run on closed-loop across all the range, but whether that translates into actual significant performance increases I'm dubious about. Its clearly nice that you maintain your tune in open loop with variable conditions but there's really little to suggest that is a big advantage. Most maps for tuners with narrowband sensors set the open loop areas to optimal AFRs (~12.0-13.0:1) and I just doubt that adding ECU control to this area adds much. I mean, there are very few wideband systems out there and there's a good reason for it.

I'm definitely dubious of their claims that it self-tunes. It doesn't, any more than any of the other tuners do. They say you can can swap out hardware, including cams, and it will adjust. Without something to measure power change (i.e. a dyno) no unit can retune a bike for hardware changes. Yes, it can get the AFR back to what it was previously, but whether that is still optimal for the new hardware is unknown unless you put the bike back on the dyno.

So, yup, I'm sure its great to use and all but I'm still open to persuasion that you are going to get a big difference (it has to be 5HP gain to wow me) between a good tune with it compared to, say, a PowerVision or SEPST if they are all dyno-tuned properly. Willing to be convinced though

Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I can tell you from periodically reading the maps it does indeed auto tune, sometimes just very minor changes. When I have playing with baffles and my exhaust it never fails to dial back in without touching it.

And just for kicks since I have a Dakota digital that gives true 0-60 times I can also tell you that without any other changes when I swapped from a "tuned" PC III to the TMax I saw a change of -0.4 seconds in the 0-60 time.
To me that is significant. I would urge you to give it a whirl sometime.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM
butterballs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you from periodically reading the maps it does indeed auto tune, sometimes just very minor changes. When I have playing with baffles and my exhaust it never fails to dial back in without touching it.

And just for kicks since I have a Dakota digital that gives true 0-60 times I can also tell you that without any other changes when I swapped from a "tuned" PC III to the TMax I saw a change of -0.4 seconds in the 0-60 time.
To me that is significant. I would urge you to give it a whirl sometime.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

For a stage 1 bike...is the Tmax all I'd need, or would the bike still need to be dyno tuned?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

That is what makes the tmax really worth the money. You never need to pay someone to dyno your bike, it does it for you. Frankly I don't think a dyno should ever be needed for a strictly street bike.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM
slider1156
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Power vision, easy to use tons of support. Tuners are like beer, its all about your taste

Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is what makes the tmax really worth the money. You never need to pay someone to dyno your bike, it does it for you
We are gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.

The Tmax does not know a vital bit of information...whether the changes it or you make are improving the performance. Sure, the AFR will be accurate to what's in the map but you don't know this map is making best power without putting it on a dyno.

For a stage 1 bike...is the Tmax all I'd need, or would the bike still need to be dyno tuned?
Yes, its all you 'need'. As with most tuners, you can put the unit on, load the closest map to your pipes & air cleaner and call it good.

What, if anything, you do next is the difference between tuners. If its the tmax then it'll read the air-fuel ratio and tweak the settings so that the bike runs at the air-fuel ratios set in the map. With other tuners, like SEPST and Power Vision, you do a auto/smart tune to achieve a similar thing. The tmax saves a manual step and is worth it just for that.

If the map was good in the first place and the hardware it was created with was the same as you have fitted then you can call it job done. If the tuner doesn't come with a map for your setup or you want the best power you can get then its dyno time.

Quick Reply: Best tuner?