Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone dye their leather seat another color?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 AM
pennetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone dye their leather seat another color?

I have a Corbin Hollywood Solo in Distressed Brown color, which is pretty light in color. It looks a bit lighter than the photo below. I wanted to dye it grey.

I read you use Zippo lighter fluid to strip the leather, use Kiwi dye in the glass bottle with dauber, and then seal and buff.

Anyone do it themselves?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

you are not going to get all the brown out. The leather used for seats is usually chromium tanned leather and colored at the tannery, meaning the color, if done correctly, and no reason to suppose it wasn't, penetrates through the leather to the flesh side, so all you are going to remove is the top sheen off the color leaving you with a slightly lighter brown and no gloss to it.

Better to simply recover it. Seat leather is not actually expensive if you shop around a bit, and if you use the old covering as a template you can cut out the correct sizes of the seat and sides and remake the seat yourself. A decent household sewing machine with a leather needle will do the sewing job.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

Like mentioned above..Recover it is the only way to go.We work with leather everyday and the dye would never stay,it will rub off and make a mess of your clothes..You can try to do it your self but if you are not comfortable get a guy that knows seats to do it..Need it a little stiffer or some gel put in to it ,now is the time.Good Luck.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I redyed some older Corvette interior parts.They were vinyl and plastic mainly. They started out dark brown and I made them light saddle. Used a vinyl dye found in paint stores. Clean old parts with paint thinner, scrubbed when with a bleach cleanser, got all the residue off and sprayed it on. Looked good but I wasn't sitting on them.