Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward vs Mid Controls better for low back pain sufferer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Wykd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my forwards, but if you have a back issue then go mids if for no other reason than:

If you hit a pothole, divet/bump/etc... on forward your just going to have to eat the shock and brace for it. With mids you can kind of lighten your load and let your legs take the shock.

I hope that makes sense, I was tooling along the other day after about 2hrs on the bike and didn't notice a crease coming over a hill until to late, that hammered my lower back almost as bad as my old hard tail did.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Nice to know (in an odd sort of way) that there are others out there with back problems that can still ride.

When was going to PT after my disc herniation, I would ride my VFR (rearward controls), as that was more comfortable than my Wing or any of my cars.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have 2 compressed lower vertebrae. i have forwards with mid pegs cc seat with backrest. and i had mean city cycle rework a 2 up sundowner. my back likes both seats good enough. and have thought of adding switchback floor boards.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Shovelhead6969
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was blown up in Iraq and have 2 large rods and 2 small rods with fake rubber disc all over my spine. And I have better luck with the forwards. ON the bike with mids I have highway pegs so I can strech when needed. I have a hd made and foldedable with reverse pegs dyna forwards for sale at the moment.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I broke my #5 lombar years ago so having good back support is what works for me. Switching to a deep bucket seat (first a sundowner , now mustang w/backrest) was the best thing that ever happened to my back. All day comfort as compared to 2 hr. rides (at the most) on the stocker. Its mids only for me. Getting quality suspension (front & rear) also really helps

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 246 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Wykd
i love my forwards, but if you have a back issue then go mids if for no other reason than:

If you hit a pothole, divet/bump/etc... on forward your just going to have to eat the shock and brace for it. With mids you can kind of lighten your load and let your legs take the shock.

I hope that makes sense, I was tooling along the other day after about 2hrs on the bike and didn't notice a crease coming over a hill until to late, that hammered my lower back almost as bad as my old hard tail did.
Bad back here also, like "Wykd" wrote above, with the mids you can lighten the load off your back, kind of like riding a horse/bicycle/dirt bike going into a jump, your legs can be used like a suspension. With the forwards you can't stand up and your back takes all of the shock.

I have forwards and went with 12" Street Glide air shocks, they smooth out the ride by taking out the road chop, but unseen potholes or road irregularities are still a problem with forwards.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 850 Likes on 373 Posts

Bad back here too. Mustang vintage wide with backrest. I have mids with forwards. Works pretty good for me

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I run the mids with highway pegs on my Super. Better for back and as someone already comment can carry load on mids when need to. I also have Fatbob seat which seems to position me better. the highway pegs are nice for a short position change but I'm usually on the mids. And I'm 6'0" about 190.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Sgt7212
Cruiser

I am 5ft7 with 30" inseam. I have 2 herniated disks in my lower back L4/L5 and L5/S1. I also have 2 bulging disks in my neck. I have the forwards on my Fat Bob and have no complaints whatsoever. To that point, I haven't ever ridden with the mids, as my Fat Bob is my first bike. I also haven't really gone on any really long rides... maybe a couple 300 mile days, but no soreness or issues.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
greybeard6005
Tourer

Started out w/ forwards, but went with mids because of the back pain. Works (and feels) better for me to be sitting more upright. I put forward pegs on to stretch when I want or need to, but love the mids - more control of the bike and it's easier to pick my *** off the seat when needed (rough road). I'm around the same size as you at 5'10 and a 32" inseam. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: Forward vs Mid Controls better for low back pain sufferer?