Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Low can I drop My LowRider

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
MoMoney4Ridin
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Low can I drop My LowRider

I need to lower my low rider, but do not want to lose handling capabilities nor do I want to have the bike feel front heavy. I was thinking of buying this kit but am not sure what it will do for the handling. Needing advice!

here is the kit I was thinking of getting.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/progressive.../p3074467.jcwx

Also Is it possible to somehow make a new attachment for the reduced reach seat as the mounting bracket where it screws in the back, is like 1/8 " short and I really need a seat like that.

Thanks all for your guidance

Suzanne

Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM
TwelveHD
Tourer

I have the burlys on the rear of my bob, and the progressive drop in kit in the front.. I like my bikes low.. Yes, I have lost some handling capabilities, but I'm fine with that.. I still ride it hard. It will definitely ride different once you drop it down, and if your anything like me, you'll have to change your riding style just a little bit.. Lol. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
MoMoney4Ridin
5th Gear

TwelveHD, By losing riding capabilities I am assuming you mean you are now unable to lean as much, right? Does the bike ride rougher? and does the rear tire rub under the fender?

I am a women of 5'4 and would like to at least lower it about 1.5 to 2" . Can you tell me is it better to drop both front and back at the same time, and if I do just the back will I be top heavy?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 AM
TwelveHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by MoMoney4Ridin
TwelveHD, By losing riding capabilities I am assuming you mean you are now unable to lean as much, right? Does the bike ride rougher? and does the rear tire rub under the fender?

I am a women of 5'4 and would like to at least lower it about 1.5 to 2" . Can you tell me is it better to drop both front and back at the same time, and if I do just the back will I be top heavy?
Correct, you can still lean, but you should be conscious of dragging your pipes, etc. the ride is a little rougher.. I don't notice a huge difference. I have not had the rear tire rub on me.. I can stick my hand a little inside the rear fender and there is still plenty of room. I would say that my bike is about 2" lower all the way around, with a mild rake in the front.. I didn't want it perfectly level. I think the bottom line is this. If you like your stuff lowered.. Be prepared to sacrifice some of the performance, but definitely not the looks! Lol.

I dropped my rear first, and didn't like the way it looked or rode. The front end seemed to high for me. So I ended up doing the front shortly after, and I'm glad I did. It seems a little more balanced now.

Last edited by TwelveHD; 04-02-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure what year your bike is but mine is an 07. I am also 5'4". I thought about lowering the bike as well but I did not want to give up any handling or ride quality so I nixed that idea. I actually changed the rear shocks to Progressive 440's and the were a huge improvement over the stock ones. I have not yet changed the front suspension so it is still stock. The rear shocks were the same length as factory so ride height has not changed at all. What I did do was to change my seat. I had a Le Pera bare bones which is probably the lowest seat you can buy, but very uncomfortable after about an hour or so of riding. I traded the seat with a friend for some accessories and ordered a Saddleman Heels Down seat. Very comfortable for me and it still put me at a low seating position. Next I upgraded my work boots to a pair of HD boots. They have a thicker sole and a bigger heel. The combo of the seats and boots was perfect. The bike still has a nice ride quality to it with the Progressive shocks and I can still lean into the turns as well without dragging my pipes on the ground. The foot rests are another story though.....

Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
peener
Intermediate

I would suggest sending your stock shocks too MB products, they will shorten shocks, and turn around time is one day, Mine are now 11' on a 09 fxdl. charges only $69 which includes shipping, Re: the front I put in the drop inprogressive kit, only took about 45 minutes to do, dropped it the full 2" Ride is a bit stiffer but I like it. But I also have switched wheels to 21" front and rear. Good luck with this project.