Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 SB Electrical Problems! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 SB Electrical Problems! Help!!

Hoping I might find some help here on the recent electrical issues I've been experiencing. About 30 days ago, I had a sudden issue whereby the fuel pump on my 07 Street Bob was making an abnormal sound. Hard to describe the sound, maybe like something was clogged? Anyway this happened for about 2 days, and on the second day I found the bike to be cranking pretty weak, and after getting it home after work I cycled the killswitch a few times to see if the fuel pump sound would change back to normal. It didn't - I cycled the switch about 3 or 4 times, and on the last time I went to start the bike and didn't even get a single click - I had no lights whatsoever. Thinking immediately that it may be the battery, I pulled it and brought it to Autozone, who checked the battery and confirmed that it had a full charge. Bummed out and thinking that I am going to be on an endless electrical search, I got home and reinstalled the battery. At that point, I decided to remove any factors that could be contributing to the issue out of the mix. First thing I did was pull the battery tender. The guy who owned it before me had wrapped the exposed end in black electrical tape and tucked it away under the seat. Upon pulling the tender, I noticed that the exposed end had worked its way out from under the seat and has been sitting above the primary. The heat from the engine and primary in that area had caused the tape to lose the adhesive, and the metal tender prong was exposed and touching the primary. I figured it must have been causing a ground, and pulled the tender. Left my tuner all plugged in. Reattached the battery cables, bike fired right up, and has been right as rain for the past 3-4 weeks.

Fast forward to yesterday...

Riding home from work she starts acting up again... While cruising at about 45 mph, I suddenly had a total lack of power. The speedo shot downwards toward zero, and my fuel pump & key lights came on briefly, then disappeared about a second later and I had power again. This cycle of no power -> indicators -> power again occurred about 3 times in quick succession, then the bike died entirely. Cruise clutch-in to the light, cycle the killswitch, and the bike starts up again no problem, no indicators... everything seems cool. Continue on my way home, about another 10-15 minutes, and stop at the grocery store. Right before I get to the grocery store, the power-lights-power cycle happens again, but this time the battery light flashed on along with the fuel pump & key lights. So I'm in the store for maybe 5-10 minutes, go back outside to start the bike. Turn the ignition key, lights on, hit the killswitch, fuel pimp primes, hit the start button, and I hear a "click click click click" and all lights go out - no headlight, blinkers, speedo, fuel pump doesn't prime... nothin.

From reading the forums here, I've heard of many strange intermittent problems occurring from loose or corroded battery cables, so I call my lady to hook me up with a screwdriver to check the battery (learned the lesson of riding with no tools... she brought her pink screwdrivers of course... won't be making THAT mistake again!) The battery cables seem to be connected well, but I give them a little extra oomph and try the ignition... no lights. I disconnect the battery entirely to see if there is any corrosion or anything preventing the cables from making contact, all looks good... snug them back up again, and I have power! Everything comes back to life, the bike starts up, and I take her home.

Once safely in the comfort of my own garage, I start checking things out. Power cycle the bike, which starts up fine, but the fuel pump light comes on as usual and then goes out, but then comes back on for a second time and stays on for ~4-8s before going out again. I blip the throttle, bike revs up strong, but then idles very low, and over the next ~3s, the idle comes back up to normal.

Pulled the codes on the speedo and got the following:

P0562 (Battery Voltage Low Carb/EFI)
B1007 (Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments)

After clearing the codes, I started the bike back up, revved up the engine, no new codes so far. I haven't had a chance to run the bike since this all went down, hoping to run around a bit after work and see if the codes reappear, but I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing these codes to appear. Hoping that someone here can help me understand how I could be getting both low voltage and high voltage codes in a 20 minute time span... I'm thinking maybe the Voltage Regulator or the Stator... really hoping it's not the stator... thoughts? How does one go about testing those components?

As always, thanks in advance to everyone on this forum - you guys are a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate how freely you share that knowledge.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the possitive on the tender is not the one that has the metal tip exposed it is the one on the inside, and if it would have go on that one it would have puffed the fuse on the line. so you can rule that out.. P0562 is very common when battery terminals are loose, hate to say it but i am leaning towards that being the problem here

Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you took it to autozone did they do an actual "load test" or just check the voltage.

I would guess battery or possible short in one of the cables

Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rooti
When you took it to autozone did they do an actual "load test" or just check the voltage.

I would guess battery or possible short in one of the cables
Just checked the voltage, said I had full charge, but didn't do a load test... Guess that's on the list...

Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

You didn't say anything about checking the battery ground cable at the starter. If you've done that, just ignore this.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevil
You didn't say anything about checking the battery ground cable at the starter. If you've done that, just ignore this.
Sadly I'm rather new at the electrical side of things... Is that the ground right in front of the battery box? If not, where should I be looking? sry for the noob questions...

Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

It's OK. The ground cable on your bike is attached to a post on top of the starter motor. On the right side- just follow the negative (-) black wire from the battery to where it bolts to the starter.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

A little trick I learned at the garage is when you hook up a ground ,first clean it but add some never-seeze and tighten it.
That never-seeze helps keep a good connection.
We used it mainly for gas tank grounds that you don't have access to again, but works great for the bike battery grounds.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the recommendations - looks like I have some homework to do... Will post an update hopefully tomorrow with my findings!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

follow both cables from the battery and make sure they are tight on both ends

Quick Reply: 07 SB Electrical Problems! Help!!