Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for Long Distance Rides

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Giz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id quite happily do a tour on my Wide Glide. I've changed the seat to a mustang one piece and its made a huge difference in comfort. I'd go along with what people say about screens being useful but personally I can do without one. (Up till now anyway)

Old 06-04-2013, 04:28 PM
OhioWillie
Stage I

I have a Dyna Switchback, and it's the best of both world's! I take off the bags and windshield, and it's great around town. I put the bags and windshield back on (2 minutes), and I'm ready to cruise anywhere I want to go. I'd highly recommend it!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

I live in the mountains and would not even consider a touring bike. I average 400 miles a week and I am perfectly comfortable. I did install a Windvest, bags and modified the seat. My bike weighs around 650Lbs and that is perfect for the kind of riding I do.
Oh, Its a Dyna Wideglide. By the way, there are some killer deals on used bikes right now. I see Dyna 07 and 08 for 10k and under all the time. Check Craigslist.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

After owning quite a few Super Glides and Low Riders I bought a Roadking Custom and then a Softail Deluxe to try out something different.

Really liked the RKC but hated the Deluxe. Took the Switchback to get me back to the Dyna line but not too crazy about it.

Can't get past the vibration and will only buy another Dyna when they return with the LowRider.

All the other FXR's and Dyna's I owned would smooth out once you take off but not the S.B. Never stops vibrating.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Siram
6th Gear

My wife and I rode across Canada last August and came back through the states. Took us 22 days. We were on 2004 Sportsters. 15000 K, ( a litltle over 9300 mi.)The trick is to have a custom seat. We had ours made at Rich's in Seattle. Would not have lasted any other way. She also has a wind shield , I don't like them. The point is, you don't need to have a big bike to go longer distances, just the will to ride. A Dyna would be just fine, with a good seat. by the way, I just turned 57.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
.......My issue is that I've poured so much money into the Sporty that I'll never get back. Couple that with all the money I'd have to invest into any Dyna I'd pick up and the switch sounds expensive.........
That's exactly right. Whenever I do mods, I tell myself up front that I'll never get the money back, then it actually doesn't bother me later. In a lot of cases, mods can hurt the resale value as well. I know I'll always look for a bone stock bike over a modded one when buying used.

That being said, if you decide to get a new bike, you can always sell your old one for more money than a dealer will give you. Also, you'll do better financially by returning your bike to as stock condition as possible before selling, and then sell your parts separately on ebay.

Depending on the year and model dyna you buy, some of your sportster parts will work on the dyna also.

If you can afford to rent one for the day, rent a dyna and take it for an all day ride. If not that, find a dealer who allows decent test rides and check out a dyna that way.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Crazy

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
That's exactly right. Whenever I do mods, I tell myself up front that I'll never get the money back, then it actually doesn't bother me later. In a lot of cases, mods can hurt the resale value as well. I know I'll always look for a bone stock bike over a modded one when buying used.

That being said, if you decide to get a new bike, you can always sell your old one for more money than a dealer will give you. Also, you'll do better financially by returning your bike to as stock condition as possible before selling, and then sell your parts separately on ebay.

Depending on the year and model dyna you buy, some of your sportster parts will work on the dyna also.

If you can afford to rent one for the day, rent a dyna and take it for an all day ride. If not that, find a dealer who allows decent test rides and check out a dyna that way.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Crazy
Luckily I have all the stock parts and can pulloff the add-ons and make it pretty close to stock once again. Aside from the footpegs, RAM mount, cup holder and possibly the air cleaner cover and element (the mount is Sporty specific I think); and X14iED, there isn't much else that would transfer to a Dyna.

I guess if I sold all the extras separately I'd get a little more than if left on the bike. I'd still be out money even though I bought some of them used.

I'd like to find the FXDC in at least as good a condition as my Sporty is. I take very good care of it. I wouldn't want a Dyna that I am "stepping up" to, to be worse off than my bike is.

Either way, I'll wait until winter when prices drop off. I did my trip and don't have a need for a Dyna now.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Tink69
Guess I'll throw in my two cents worth...

I have a Dyna Low Rider that has been slammed to the ground, vibrates like crazy, doesn't have a windshield or bags....people said I was crazy to take it on long trips but I've done it multiple times. A couple of 10 day, 2400 mile trips with no issues. Now I will say, a comfy seat goes a long way to helpin with butt fatigue , so you might want to consider an "Air Hawk" seat cushion (or a super comfy seat). Also being a smaller girl, the wind can be pretty tiring but I tough it out (cuz a windshield looks stupid on my bike) And I use dry bags (I've learned to be a good packer) and can get by for 10 days in a bag strapped to the back fender.

Soooo...to answer you're question, I think YES a Dyna is ok for long trips. I like mine....but I guess I can't afford a 2nd bike for long trips so I have to use my Dyna!

Enjoy!!
I have the HD Road Zeppelin air pad which is the same as the Air Hawk R. It's terrific on long rides and wouldn't ride more than 100 miles without it. I don't like it for around town so I remove it.

Originally Posted by dimfil
I have had Dyna Wide Glide for years. It is a great bike, and I loved it. But, I did not enjoy it too much on the long interstate trips. It is great for smaller roads with speeds up to 60 mi/hour. On interstates at higher speeds, especially when it's windy, you will get tired, even with a windshield. I rode it without and with windshield. The problem is that a large windshield does not look good on this bike, but a smaller one does not deflect much. I remember my sunglasses were jumping on my nose like crazy because of the wind at 70-75 mi/hour.
I traded it for Electra Glide Ultra Classic and I do not regret it. I can go on an interstate for hours without being tired to get to some interesting place to ride around.
Just my experience.
D.
I won't ride distances or in the winter without a windshield. I don't care about looks. Since mine is a QD and any Dyna I'd get would have a QD too, I have that covered. I just take it off when riding locally in warmer weather.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM
fogline
Cruiser
Default Trade the FXDXT for a FLHTCU?

The goddess and I took a 1200 mile 2 day trip (combined age = 118 years) on the FXDXT last week end. I was a little fatigued at the end and I point squarely at the passenger position. She leaned into me the whole time and part of my effort was to keep our combined 400 pounds off of the bars (not that I don't like her arms around me).
I looked enviously at Electra Glides toward the end as I saw the passengers leaning back into the tour-pac arms on arm-rests, taking a nap in unconcerned bliss. If I wanted to take her coast to coast, I would start looking at Electra Glides. That being said, we often do 2 to 3 hundred mile days with nothing but "ooh's and ahh's". We take Colorado mountain roads, not just twisties but switchbacks, with grace and agility.
With my fully loaded Dyna, I take 1k mi. solo trips regularly with no thoughts of anything other than how friggin fun it is. But I do choose routes that are challenging, scenic and like me to see how close I can come to scraping my pegs.
Whether highways are only a last resort because I enjoy the back-roads, because my Dyna is less than luxurious on highways, or that highways are just boring, I can't answer.
The Dyna is great in the city and mountains, and certainly reasonably substantial on the interstates. I do 85 mph at 32 rpms (+,-) and never want. I have never been in a 50 mph cross wind with a touring frame so I can't compare.
Would I trade the FXDXT for a FLHTCU? Not as long as I don't need help taking my boots off. Not even straight across. Not even straight across if they threw in heated grips. But someday I may have one too.

Attached Thumbnails Dyna for Long Distance Rides-fxdxt1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Luckily I have all the stock parts and can pulloff the add-ons and make it pretty close to stock once again. Aside from the footpegs, RAM mount, cup holder and possibly the air cleaner cover and element (the mount is Sporty specific I think); and X14iED, there isn't much else that would transfer to a Dyna.

I guess if I sold all the extras separately I'd get a little more than if left on the bike. I'd still be out money even though I bought some of them used.

I'd like to find the FXDC in at least as good a condition as my Sporty is. I take very good care of it. I wouldn't want a Dyna that I am "stepping up" to, to be worse off than my bike is.

Either way, I'll wait until winter when prices drop off. I did my trip and don't have a need for a Dyna now.
Your QD windshield will fit a pre '06 dyna (not WG) and your rear turn signal relo kit may fit a dyna as well. I know that the aftermarket one I used on my Street Bob was for Sportster as well.

Quick Reply: Dyna for Long Distance Rides