Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for Long Distance Rides

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a good touring bike for people that pack light. With a windshield and bags no problems facing the same elements as touring bikes except your legs might get wetter. Lots of fun to leave the touring bikes behind when you get in some winding mountain roads. The other negative is the lights are not as good both front and back for visibility and safety if you get caught in bad weather. For me, not ready for a floorboard bike yet. Get a good cushioned seat to put on for long trips too and you'll be fine.

Two up is different, your passenger has to be a trooper to go for long hauls as they don't have all the comfort of a touring setup like footboards, air suspension, wider seat, etc.

Last edited by cee; 06-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
Your QD windshield will fit a pre '06 dyna (not WG) and your rear turn signal relo kit may fit a dyna as well. I know that the aftermarket one I used on my Street Bob was for Sportster as well.
The turn signal relo kit I'd probably leave. I don't think I have all the original parts for that.

I think my BAL1 should fit the FXDC also. I wouldn't have a bike without it. I do have the HD turn signal/running/brake module too but I'm not sure if it would transfer.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Lano
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyna's make good tourers. Harley built the FXDX T. This one originally came with soft bags.

People have travelled the world on KLR 650's. Dyna's are bigger/faster.

Last edited by Lano; 06-04-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Street Bob 09
Stage I

I have a 2009 Street Bob that I have equipped with a quick release National touring windshied, a Kuryaken Cruise Assist, a Sundowner solo seat, and a Harley Davidson Rigid Solo Rack (with a pillon and Sissy Bar that can be attached). It was my intention to travel the 1200 miles to Sturgis on it this year. That was until I bought my 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. As much as I love my Bob (and I really do), I am going to have to leave her in the garage this year, and take the Glide. Sure, the Glide is heavier, not nearly as quick or agile, but this is about long hauls and highways. If there was no alternative, I would make the trip on my Bob, but I am taking the Glide. I hope this little narrative helps answer your question. I had the same question.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
tiedown
6th Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by phxsunbum
I currently have a 2000 Sporty 1200C. It was my first bike since my teens and I've been riding it for about 3 years. I'm ready to step up to something bigger.

I love the touring bikes, particularly Street Glide and Road King, however a new one is simply out of my price range.

I've read some good articles about the Dyna Super Glide, the most recent stating "It's as enjoyable to ride whether you're going cross-country on Interstate 80 or blasting down the Cherohala Skyway".

My question is; would the Dyna be suitable for taking longer rides, say 1,000 miles or so, round trip, and sometimes two-up? Granted, most of my riding will be around town (Phoenix Metro Area), freeways, surface streets, and the occasional twisties. Please keep in mind that I'm 53 y/o.

My dealer says no, but I'm not sure he's not trying to push me to a more expensive bike. So, I'm looking to your expertise and experience to guide me. I won't hold you accountable, LOL, but I trust no one on this forum would intentionally lead me astray.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

you can ride all day on a super glide so long as your legs & arms are at a comfortable reach for yor back

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in my 50's. I had a Road King for 3 years. It was great for traveling by just OK around town. I now have a Fat Bob. I have a windshield to help with the long trips, a removable back rest and luggage rack for my luggage, and heel rest for comfort. The Fat Bob works great around town and is good on long trips. JMO.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course you can tour on a dyna, baggers are just better designed for it.

Just like you can ride twisty roads on a bagger, even though sport bikes are better designed for it.

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
I just completed a 24 hr endurance challenge on my FXDC with no issues either mechanical or comfort wise.

Done plenty of long haul trips (3000+ km) as well with no issues.

Anyone that says you cant tour on a Dyna is just plain wrong

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 06-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Beastly Angel
Advanced

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I road (my street bob) from DC down to Daytona for bike week this year with 7 other guys (all riding big touring bikes). I watched those guys figit all over their seat trying to stay comfy and was thinking to myself, I guess those bikes aren't as comfy as they say they are. Also, by the time we got down to Daytona they were all tied of riding and I wanted to go out and cruise the town. Maybe I am just used to riding the distance or thay I am just young enough to not care (40). I love my Dyna and wouldn't trade it, I will buy another bike some day and add it to my garage though. Based on the kinda riding you look to be doing, I would recommend either the Fat Bob for the city riding and the bigger tires to help obsorb the road conditions or the Switchback for the distance rides, over all the Switchback would be the best choice, but then your only a grand or two away form the Road King.

Not to steal this thread, but how do you like the burly's? I need to lower my dyna and not sure which to buy... burly or progressive?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM
MikeyFXD35
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have "toured" on many bikes. Smallest was a CX500 honda to the largest BMW CL1200. I have ridden across the country on a sport bike with soft bags. Any bike you can ride long distance, Tour bike are set up for protection from the elements and you maybe wishing at some point you had a full fairing but you need to buy the bike that is going to soot your needs most of the time. For me the Dyna was a good fit, all you need is a back rest and a T-Bag and your set.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastly Angel
Not to steal this thread, but how do you like the burly's? I need to lower my dyna and not sure which to buy... burly or progressive?
I love them! But I can't compare them to anything (including stock), I put these on when I got the bike. Progressive make them, lower cost version, can say if they are a cheaper (less quality version) cause I have never riding with the progressives.

Quick Reply: Dyna for Long Distance Rides