Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another sputter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Woofron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another sputter question

I have a new (to me) 2001 Wide Glide. It's carbed, not fuel njected. I've run the bike for about 3000 miles this year without issue. Lately, though, it sputters, usually under heavy acceleration. Today it stalled at a light, just as I was taking off.
Most of the sputtering has been on the same tank of gas. From a station that only has E10.
It Has sputtered before, usually after lugging(?) the motor for a bit. I mean being in a higher gear than I should. Being a newby in the mountains means I'm still learning, but the sputtering only lasted an acceleration or two. When it happens I typically either back off on the gas, or pul the clutch, and it stops. Then I can accelerate fine, although I may be giving it more gas the second time around.
And recently I jest read In the owners manual I should be using 91 or better octane. Crap. I've been using just regular old 87.
Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Junkster
Road Captain

Do not lug your bike. Its hard on these dynas. Better to keep your rpms up. Only burn premium gas. Run some cleaner thru the carb. Check your vacuum lines. I run a little stay bilt in my bike most of the time.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes premium fuel is needed in a Harley.
I would run some sea foam through it before I do anything.
I run it in all my bikes every 2 months or so.
Since you have a carb, I also suggest when you fill up run it some on reserve to clean out the stuff on the bottom of the tank. Yes it does make a difference. Been doing it for 30+ years. Remember you do it after you fill up not when you need reserve.
If you have been running low grade fuel you may have some gumming taking place. The sea foam should take care of it. You can also use Chevron fuel, it helps clean the engine and carb...
The E10 could be causing some problems to. The 2001 engines are not made to withstand the E10.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Also, make sure your choke isnt pulled out any, you could be flooding it. I would take it for a ride till it goes on reserve to get the low grade gas out and fill it with premium and some seafoam and take it for another ride to clean everything out.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Dangermouse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your plugs and wires spark problems will be more noticeable under load

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Woofron
Cruiser

Thanks, everyone for the quick replies. I see some changes are in order! I've never used sea foam before, is it just something I can get at the local auto parts place?
I'm about half full of gas now. I'll top off tomorrow with premium to bring the average octane of the remaining gas up a bit. If I can get sea foam locally, I will also put that in. Then maybe 50 miles using the 'reserve' setting on the petcock. Plugs and wires will be checked in a couple of days.
Do I have a fuel filter hidden away somewhere? I've gotten into the reserve portion of the tank, so maybe dragged some crap from the bottom of the tank through the line.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wall mart carries it as well as a lot of law mower repair shops. that is where I get mine, less money there. Auto stores to.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Woofron
Cruiser

And, it is sputter no more!
I immediately began using high octane gas, and put sea foam in. No change, so that weekend I went to check the plugs and wire, and found the rear wire basically came loose with almost no resistance. It had just been laying on the plug. I snapped it in place, and it is holding firm. And the bike is running great!
Thanks again for everyone's help.