Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Street Bob - License Plate Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 2013 Street Bob - License Plate Relocation

I posted this at the end of my older thread. The mod came out so good and was so easy, so I started a new post. It will be easier to find this way.

OK. Well, I liked my original shop-built relocation kit, but it could be sleeker. So, I had an idea.

I bought the HD kit p/n 67900130. This is what it looks like as made by HD. (Pictures from a thread by Danielc409.)

I removed the LED monstrosity and cut away part of the plate mount area. I used what would be the upper plate mount location as my new lower plate mount location. The little cavity where the original LED was installed is perfect for stashing the wire splices.

Here is it installed.

Clean, sleek and out of the way. Very easy mod to an ugly part. Why HD couldn't think of something so simple is beyond me.

The following users liked this post:
Hawkhills (04-30-2021)
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Might have to do this...

Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
...Clean, sleek and out of the way. Very easy mod to an ugly part. Why HD couldn't think of something so simple is beyond me.
Probably has something to do with lighting the plate, DOT compliance, etc. Still, a LED light strip tucked into the plate frame is pretty effin easy to figure out.

You should apply for a patent on it or something. I seem to remember from my business classes that a significant improvement of an existing design can be patented (like BASF). I'll bet that would get their attention.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
I posted this at the end of my older thread. The mod came out so good and was so easy, so I started a new post. It will be easier to find this way.

OK. Well, I liked my original shop-built relocation kit, but it could be sleeker. So, I had an idea.

I bought the HD kit p/n 67900130. This is what it looks like as made by HD. (Pictures from a thread by Danielc409.)

I removed the LED monstrosity and cut away part of the plate mount area. I used what would be the upper plate mount location as my new lower plate mount location. The little cavity where the original LED was installed is perfect for stashing the wire splices.

Here is it installed.

Clean, sleek and out of the way. Very easy mod to an ugly part. Why HD couldn't think of something so simple is beyond me.
Did you add a plate light? The only problem I have with this set up is that the kit costs a ton to cut up...Got to be a cheaper way. We are doing a buddies bob soon so I need some ideas...

Old 09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice design, great post.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts

SLV, what are you using as a license plate frame? Is that another part you modified that comes with the H-D kit?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad1200
SLV, what are you using as a license plate frame? Is that another part you modified that comes with the H-D kit?
I was using the black version of this
Amazon.com: Radiantz License Plate Frame - 6in. LED Illuminator - Black 8202-52: Clothing Amazon.com: Radiantz License Plate Frame - 6in. LED Illuminator - Black 8202-52: Clothing

Cheap, nice row of LEDs at the top, easy to install.

However, due to bag installation, I had to relocate my TS, so I further modded it to look like the attached picture. It's a temporary bracket and I'm not using a tag light at the moment. Once I get the permanent bracket in place, I'll reinstall the Radiantz lighted frame.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Street Bob - License Plate Relocation-image.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks much better, can you explain what you did with the wiring, I'm hopeless when it comes to electrical and because of the ecm don't want to stuff it up and throw codes, thanks mate.

Edit, Sorry, just realized the plate holder is illuminated so guessing its a straight splice job, now I have to find a plate holder here in Oz as Amazon wont ship here

Last edited by Bushranger; 02-24-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,240 Likes on 11,124 Posts

Check the laws, some states require lighted plates.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool mod, SLV.

Problem for me is that I like the plate on the side and the clean look of the plain fender.

When I got my docking hardware kit I searched around for some side mounts and one day realized that I could just take one of the longer bolts meant for the rear points but replaced by the light stalks on the signal relocation kit, then mount the plate on the front point.

Easy and free, and I like the way it looks.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Street Bob - License Plate Relocation-2013-fxdb-lp-relo-cheep-022414.jpg  

Last edited by Silvio; 02-24-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Street Bob - License Plate Relocation