Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700 mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 PM
dmpjr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
1 month in NC will put you at or around early October if you left today. 2 months put you into the start of cold weather. Don't forget to pack for the trip back (or mail your cold weather gear to your detonation.)
Yeah I was thinking about that. Probably bee there Oct into Nov....How cold does it get? I'm from RI and wore shorts till Turkey Day, so I'm not thinking I'll have too much of an issue. Although I may have some FL blood in me now..lol

Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM
**Blu**
Intermediate

700 miles in ONE day??? Anything is possible, but I am pretty sure you will be hating life a little the next day. I literally just got done doing 4000 miles in 8 days (North Dakota to Maine and back). I thought I was gonna do it in 6 days but everyone kept giving me the advice of 50 miles per hour (takes into effect the stops and such). Even though I averaged about 70 mph, that figure held true. Granted I stopped a lot for pics and stuff, but that ratio felt good too. The first 2 days I felt I could have pushed harder, but by day 3.... I was glad to stop for the night. The bike I would imagine makes a difference too. Without a touring bike, sounds like you'll be like how I rolled, a windshield, a bag (tebag I think they call them) strapped to the sissy bar, and a couple fuel bottles. The trip to Maine was a learning experience for the trip back (as I packed way too much).

In short, I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you're not one that has taking long trips before. I have taken many 2 day trips (a day each way), this being the first "big one". If you can man, break it up. First day pull about 400-450 miles. Leave a smaller trip for the second day in case you want to sleep in a little. One of my days of riding was during a massive storm and I rode the whole day with torrential downpour.... The next day I started a couple of hours later to help "recover" after that experience.

Your call, but I would again advise, TAKE TWO DAYS! Figure 50 miles per hour to take into effect the gas ups and rests. Being dazed on a bike and and a car are two totally different worlds!

Sorry for the essay, but I felt compelled to give my two cents...

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
**Blu**
Intermediate

Also how you pack makes a huge difference. My bags had a lot of side pouches. The rain gear was always in my solo bag. Drinks, GoPro, and other needed things while on the ride were in the easily reached pouches.

Also, if ya want to see my trip, here's the YouTube link...

Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM
topdwg
Tourer

Man everyone acts like the OP is doing something crazy?! To the OP personally I think you'd be fine. Leave by 7:00 arrive by 8:00. Drive two hours stop for fuel, take about 15 minutes to stretch, hydrate, ect and get back on the road.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpjr
I'm still on the fence about making the trip. The reason Im considering it is because I will be in NC for a month or 2 and I really would like to have my bike with me while Im there. Good riding in NC. Trailering may be another option.
Being able to have your bike and use it for the two months you are living in NC is a dam good reason to ride 700 miles in one day . It is absolutely worth the discomfort you"might " have (IMO). It's interesting to read the sincere , varied opinions on your proposed ride (mine included). One person thinks it's crazy to do 700 mile in one day , another person thinks it fun and easily done . My question to you is how do you know which camp you are in until you try ? If you do it either way you will have a good story .