Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable mounting kit for backrest AND saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Djake
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable mounting kit for backrest AND saddlebags?

Hey everybody, I have a 2009 Fat Bob and I'm looking to buy a backrest with these side plates:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-01-5286606--1

I already own these saddlebags:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/leather-saddlebags

How do I make these work together? The mounting hardware I found looks like it only fits the backrest, and will not work with the saddlebags. Here's the hardware:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...01-5396406b--1

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Look under the HD website under Motorcycle luggage and accessories. You will have to decide which of the saddlebag attachments is for your bike.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the detachable hardware AND those exact same bags. The docking hardware is a direct bolt-on. I routinely change between just the docking hardware and then the bags with the docking hardware used as the spacers. What you will do is get longer bolts and then when you want to run the bags, swap out the standard docking bolts for the longer bolts that will go from the inside of the bags and right through the docking hardware and then attach to the interior fender strut hardware.

I also have seen where some guys will use threaded rod material. With this approach, you can insert/thread the threaded rod into the strut/fender support bracket. Then use a nut to tighten up against the docking hardware, then you have a threaded stud extending out the sides that you can slide your bags onto and then put nuts and washers inside the bags. When you are not using the bags, you can put an acorn nut (or some other decorative cover) on the exposed threaded end that is left protruding out of the docking hardware.

Hopefully this explanation make sense. If not, there are threads you can find more of the details.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:34 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Like eric mentioned there are 2 bolts on each side that are used to attach the docking hardware posts. You can pass those bolts thru the bags when securing the docking hardware. You can also purchase the EZ brackets but they will leave a gap and cause the bags to stick out