Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suspension experts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Your right, it will never be a sport bike but it will blow you away how much better it can be. The fatter front tire and rim is a great idea too.

And, by the way, I should have never responded to the post because I am nothing close to an expert.
Haha, when I said expert I was referring to changes made to the rake and trail. I was thinking by reducing the rake it would lift the front end but going with a 19 rim and time it would lower it. But as ynots said the 19 and 21 are the same height once they have rubber on them.

I wonder how much it would raise the front end if I went with fat bob trees? That could also help with the lean angle when combined with 13" rear shocks.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if a stock rim and tire off another dyna would fit without modifying the forks.
I just saw a street bob rim and tire in the classifieds...

Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by SLV
OP.

Check here for good shocks at a HDForum special price. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...-offering.html.

You'll have quicker responses and accurate info if you call them.

Motorcycle Metal can also recommend a front end setup. The really good stuff is pricey.

I'm with Rooti on the Ricor/Traxxion setup. I've had mine in for a but more than a week and the bike handles so much better.
Thanks SLV. Maybe I'll give them a call and bounce some ideas off of them. I might have to find a decent rake and trail calculator and play around with some different values.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The FB trees will reduce rake as you described, but don't forget that your tubes are longer than the FB, so they will raise the front.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't know if you're already running the rear shocks at the stiffest preload, but you can get a little more ride height and cornering clearance that way. Same thing in the front by adding a shim on top of the stock spring. Or you can make the forks so they won't compress as much in a turn by adding more oil (decreased air volume, internal air pressure rises faster as the forks are compressed).
Sounds like you're willing to spend a lot more money though.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by SLV
The FB trees will reduce rake as you described, but don't forget that your tubes are longer than the FB, so they will raise the front.
Yeah, that's what I was saying a few post up. Any idea how much it would raise it. Raising the bike would help the lean angle but if its going to look like a monster truck and raise the center of gravity a ton it might not be worth it.

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I don't know if you're already running the rear shocks at the stiffest preload, but you can get a little more ride height and cornering clearance that way. Same thing in the front by adding a shim on top of the stock spring. Or you can make the forks so they won't compress as much in a turn by adding more oil (decreased air volume, internal air pressure rises faster as the forks are compressed).
Sounds like you're willing to spend a lot more money though.
Yeah I already have the rears set on the stiffest setting and that did help some. I didn't shim the front though. As far as spending a lot of money, I'd rather not if I can help it so I could spend money elsewhere but If my choice is engine performance upgrades or suspension and tire upgrades I'll choose suspension and tires first every time. I'm getting a lot of good ideas in this thread though so big thanks to all of you.

I just need to sit down, figure out a plan and execute it. In the mean time I have a lot of reading to do, haha.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help but think that there's no way to go from a 21" wheel to a 19" wheel up front without lowering the front end at all... Unless of course you get a tire with an additional inch of sidewall all the way around to make up for the full 2" diameter loss... And if you went that route, I feel like it would look weird on a WG wouldn't it?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
I can't help but think that there's no way to go from a 21" wheel to a 19" wheel up front without lowering the front end at all... Unless of course you get a tire with an additional inch of sidewall all the way around to make up for the full 2" diameter loss... And if you went that route, I feel like it would look weird on a WG wouldn't it?
My thought originally was that by bringing the forks in it would raise the bike so going with a 19 would cancel out that change. I think ynots said that the diameter is the same on the superglide's 19 as the wide glides 21. Im assuming side wall difference.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same concern with my Low Rider about scraping on every corner. Buy a pair of decent 13" rear shocks and stiffen up the front with different springs. These two things make a world of difference in improving lean angle for $600 investment.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9
I had the same concern with my Low Rider about scraping on every corner. Buy a pair of decent 13" rear shocks and stiffen up the front with different springs. These two things make a world of difference in improving lean angle for $600 investment.
13" shocks are definitely on my list of to do items. 12.5" at least but more than likely 13". I just need to find out how much the fat bob trees are going to raise the front.

Quick Reply: Any suspension experts?