Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add A Tach- Splice To Purple/Green Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Add A Tach- Splice To Purple/Green Wire?

I'm looking at adding a tach to the Street Bob- I found a few of the old threads but a lot of the images dissapeared and no one gave an positive info, but someone mentioned you can simply splice into the purple and green wire running under the seat and you'd have signal?

Sounds easier than some of the other write ups, but has anyone successfully done this?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

On my '04 Softail I tapped directly into the tach feed at the speedo. Could be your wiring is different, though.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 AM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that pin 3 on the ecm plug works great on the 06 street bob and being the same connector is used in the 07 i would assume it be the same When you open the connector you see there is three tiny blue rubber plugs in a row on the one end. Starting from the end go 3 back it the last open one in that row and install a pin works great. You get the pins at the dealer for 11 cents and i had them crimp it and add wire to mine all for the effort of getting the service guy a coffee while i was waiting.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by latrobedyna
I know that pin 3 on the ecm plug works great on the 06 street bob and being the same connector is used in the 07 i would assume it be the same When you open the connector you see there is three tiny blue rubber plugs in a row on the one end. Starting from the end go 3 back it the last open one in that row and install a pin works great. You get the pins at the dealer for 11 cents and i had them crimp it and add wire to mine all for the effort of getting the service guy a coffee while i was waiting.
spot on advice , I did it that way on a 2007 dyna., for your all your other connections power/earth splice into the harness under the neck

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
On my '04 Softail I tapped directly into the tach feed at the speedo. Could be your wiring is different, though.

Where is the tach feed on the speedo? That's the other vague answer I'm seeing. "I just drew everything from the speedo".

Meaning what exatly? Any certain color wires...?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
Where is the tach feed on the speedo? That's the other vague answer I'm seeing. "I just drew everything from the speedo".

Meaning what exatly? Any certain color wires...?
I think it is green/violet wire. The serial data wire that gives your speedo info is the same wire that gives your tach info

Old 04-27-2014, 12:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 972 Likes on 735 Posts

Look at this and open the link on the first post to get to a step by step with a lot of pics:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-4-of-4-a.html

Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,818 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
I'm looking at adding a tach to the Street Bob- I found a few of the old threads but a lot of the images dissapeared and no one gave an positive info, but someone mentioned you can simply splice into the purple and green wire running under the seat and you'd have signal?

Sounds easier than some of the other write ups, but has anyone successfully done this?
first.

need to know - what tach are you using??

Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

On mine, there was an open pin with a pink plug in it on the speedo plug, I think it was the 3rd wire from one end. The service manual's wire diagram should tell you. I got a connector from the dealer just as loopie did and picked the orange/yellow wire for power and a black wire for ground. This is for a cheap J&P Cycles tach.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:10 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2012 service manual shows the tach just tapping into the speedo wires. No idea what this looks like on the harness. For 2012 tach:

pin 2 white/red CAN high
pin 5 red/orange Battery fuse
pin 7 black/green Ground
pin 8 white/black CAN low

What year / model bike did the tach come from? What part number is on the back of the tach? Maybe someone else can help with the correct service manuals.

Good luck - I'm trying the same thing on my bike.

Quick Reply: Add A Tach- Splice To Purple/Green Wire?