Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slammer kit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
KMG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also looking at this kit, but can't decide if I will go with this or Progressive again like I did on my last bike.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I understand Progressive makes Burly. The Burly's are simply 1/2 inch lower than the 11" Progressive 412s, but will give you similarl feel.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM
KMG
Novice

I just bit the bullet and ordered the slammer kit in black off ebay. Can't wait to lose the ugly chrome stock shocks! Might hold off on the doing the forks till winter, unless I get bored one weekend.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KMG
I just bit the bullet and ordered the slammer kit in black off ebay. Can't wait to lose the ugly chrome stock shocks! Might hold off on the doing the forks till winter, unless I get bored one weekend.
I would recomend doing the front also. I tried just the rear at first .... not stable at high speeds. Bike rode weird with it not being level. Just my 2cents

Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM
malomj07
Intermediate

I second that. Do both at once, the forks are very easy to do and won't take you a full weekend. Should be an hour long job, maybe 2 depending on how many beers you drink. Upgrade your fork oil while you're at it too. I went with Bel-Ray, 10W. Takes a bit of the front dive out, some guys run 15W but I haven't tried it yet.

I just rode 200 miles this weekend on my Burly Slammed '09 FXDB, rough country roads, highway, city, and everywhere in between. I weigh 215, girlfriend weighs 120. Set the shocks 2 clicks higher, upped the tire pressure and away we went. I ride fully lowered when I'm alone. I recommend ditching your stock seat and getting something more comfortable, but other than that, no complaints on the Burly kit from me.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM
malomj07
Intermediate

Double posted, sorry.

While I'm here, I'll also agree with what was mentioned earlier that I have definitely scraped up my pipes and primary before I was used to the kit.

Last edited by malomj07; 07-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 AM
KMG
Novice

Yeah I have changed springs before on my sportster I had a few years ago, and used Bel-Ray 15W in that. Maybe I will end up doing everything at once. I would guess the process is about the same on this as it was on the sporty. If I don't have any detail work lined up for next weekend I will probably end up working on this if all the stuff I ordered comes in by then.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:48 AM
FXDKEV
Novice

It being a rougher ride is a no-brainer. You need a tight suspension to prevent bottoming out. I haven't had a problem with bottoming out, even riding 2-up, but my girlfriend and I are only about 300 lbs. combined. You do have to worry about scraping a little more often. My exhaust has kissed the road quite a few times, but I have an ugly kickstand assist thing that lets me know I'm too low before I end up scraping the primary.

You do have to sacrifice a little bit of comfortability, but they give the bike a pretty cool look. The rear fender hugs the tire more, which looks way better in my opinion. It all depends on your style, though.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM
KMG
Novice

I like the slammed look, and after riding for a bit you barely notice the slightly stiffer ride. I rode my sporty slammed for a long time that was my first bike.

Have any of you modified your kickstand at all. Sitting at stock height mine can be a PITA to get down sometime, and I am sure once it is lowered it will be even worse.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by KMG
Have any of you modified your kickstand at all. Sitting at stock height mine can be a PITA to get down sometime, and I am sure once it is lowered it will be even worse.
I had a 1" shorter kickstand but went to different shocks before I put it on. I found it on eBay. It was Drag Specialties branded.

Quick Reply: slammer kit question