Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to mod/change my FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Added a touch of detail to it today....

Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I decided it would look good on the Dyna
I don't build bikes for looks

Not my thing and also prefer it the way it was, but all that matters is YOU like it. No need to try justify your taste to any of us. Just enjoy the bike, however which way you make it!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:35 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

Thanks! The wheels and forks are on the way out...I found a guy last night that has a complete dual disk 39mm narrow glide off of a 2000 FXDX and a stock rear wheel that wants to do a swap.
Looking good; the wide glide has it's styling "history" but I like the direction your Dyna is going...the 2000 FXDX front end isn't adjustable, is it? Had an FXDXT; nice suspension for a Harley
I see you also have an S&S CYCLE not S&S SUPER A/C cover... I found one of the new polished aluminum/raised letter "CYCLE" covers for mine (I have their EZ start cams). I like the teardrop, too

Nice work

Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharkey
Looking good; the wide glide has it's styling "history" but I like the direction your Dyna is going...the 2000 FXDX front end isn't adjustable, is it? Had an FXDXT; nice suspension for a Harley....
I'm kickin' around the idea of keeping the wide glide front end and putting a 17"or 18" front wheel and dual discs on it so I can have more rubber on the ground up front.
The 39mm front end is still in the running as well.
The FXDX front end had dual discs but wasn't adjustable for damping, the FXDXT front end was and it was pretty nice suspension for a Harley.
No matter which direction I decide to go with the front end, it'll get the full treatment for handling and stability and the damping adjustment won't be much of a factor when it's done.

I know for sure that the skinny 21" wheel has to go, even if I just go to a 19" wheel with the narrow glide.

Originally Posted by sharkey
I see you also have an S&S CYCLE not S&S SUPER A/C cover... I found one of the new polished aluminum/raised letter "CYCLE" covers for mine (I have their EZ start cams). I like the teardrop, too

Nice work

Thanks, As I said before, the "S&S Cycle" A/C was from one of my old shovelheads and it was kind'a cool to bring it back from the dead and put it on this bike.
I like those new repro raised letter "S&S CYCLE" covers and was considering buying one when I came across the old one.
I built an old rigid framed 96" shovelhead back in the eighties with an old L Series S&S carb on it and it had the original raised letter "S&S Cycle" cover on it.
I have a few pics of that old bike somewhere and will post them one day if I ever come across them.

I'm building this Dyna to be a simple, functional, lightweight bagger, that can still be thrown hard into the twisties or used as a straightforward touring ride.

No stereo, No GPS, No cup holder, No CB.....None of that ****.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

did the bike go down? or are you distressing the chrome. Just looks different then the photo you had when you first put the S&S tear drop on it. Sorry, had to have some sort of reply so I could keep up with your mods.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
did the bike go down? or are you distressing the chrome. Just looks different then the photo you had when you first put the S&S tear drop on it. Sorry, had to have some sort of reply so I could keep up with your mods.

Nah, I was riding in the rain the other day and it's got water and dirt on it.
That chrome is all gonna get powder coated pretty soon.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default allmost a sportster

im not hacking but, jeez man WTF are you creating?. I get that you are personalizing the bike but it just isn't flowing.#1, black 14 in "T" bars on a chrome front end, #2 ditching the classic rear fender, #3 still runnin those "darth vader" wheels, #4 the red inlay on the S&S cover. #5 thinking that you can improve the handling of imbedded geometry by changing wheel diameter. WG'S don't handle but look cool and ride "fun". im not in any way trying to sway/judge your style and hopefully these comments make you laugh.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1stfxdwg
im not hacking but, jeez man WTF are you creating?. I get that you are personalizing the bike but it just isn't flowing.

Keep watchin', it's a work in progress.

#1, black 14 in "T" bars on a chrome front end,
All of the chrome is getting powder coated over the next few months.
If I keep the front end, it'll be completely redone.

#2 ditching the classic rear fender,
That "classic" rear fender is the ugliest feature that Harley put on the wide glide.

#3 still runnin those "darth vader" wheels,
If the wheels were to stay on the bike (they're not staying) they'd get sent to the powder coaters too.

#4 the red inlay on the S&S cover.
If ya don't like red we could do it in pink for you.

#5 thinking that you can improve the handling of imbedded geometry by changing wheel diameter.
"Imbedded geometry"? Now that is funny.
The reason I would change the size of the front wheel is to get a wider front tire with a bigger footprint.
The 21" is too skinny and is the main reason that wide glides handle weird.
The wide front end is another but most of those issues can be addressed fairly easily.

WG'S look cool and ride "fun".
Not in my opinion.

im not in any way trying to sway/judge your style and hopefully these comments make you laugh.
They do.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:03 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default the wobbles

thanks for not getting all wound up, ill keep watching and see the end result. I get a kick outa riding my wide glide and the wobbles keep me aware that the bike im on was not designed to handle.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks for not getting all wound up, ill keep watching and see the end result. I get a kick outa riding my wide glide and the wobbles keep me aware that the bike im on was not designed to handle.

Why would I get all wound up?
I don't care if anyone likes my bike as long as I like it.

The guy that I bought this bike from has seen it a couple of times and he just looks at it and shrugs, he don't like what I've done to it, I think it's funny.

Quick Reply: Starting to mod/change my FXDWG