Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard braking leads to knocking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:06 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy hard braking leads to knocking noise...

Hello fellow riders!

Whenever I cruise over less-than-smoother-than-a-baby's-*** pavement, I get this knocking noise that comes from the forks, I know it comes from the forks and not the tank because I tried braking hard a couple times with the bike standing still and whenever the forks took a deep dive the knocking noise occured.

My 2005 Dyna has a 2000 Wide Glide front end, so I'm guessing it's the fork oil...however, I need to place the bike on a jack to remove the front forks since the drain plug at the bottom has been welded shut...no idea why.

Suggestions? I'll undo the front end and empty the fork oil from the top as soon as I have some free time (my bike is my daily ride) and replace it with 12 oz. of 15w fork oil...

Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt that simply changing oil will cure a knocking noise, but hard to say without hearing it. Have you checked the neck bearings? I would also physically recheck the tank mountings with a wrench and not just rely on a static dive test. How about the brake caliper bolts?

Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ditto, Id adjust the steering head first and see if it cures the problem. If it does you might want to change the oil anyway if its due

Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like either the tq on the neck bearings or the forks are bottoming out or the sag isn't set correctly.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:33 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Also check the front motor mount.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Fusion777
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Hello fellow riders!

Whenever I cruise over less-than-smoother-than-a-baby's-*** pavement, I get this knocking noise that comes from the forks, I know it comes from the forks and not the tank because I tried braking hard a couple times with the bike standing still and whenever the forks took a deep dive the knocking noise occured.

My 2005 Dyna has a 2000 Wide Glide front end, so I'm guessing it's the fork oil...however, I need to place the bike on a jack to remove the front forks since the drain plug at the bottom has been welded shut...no idea why.

Suggestions? I'll undo the front end and empty the fork oil from the top as soon as I have some free time (my bike is my daily ride) and replace it with 12 oz. of 15w fork oil...
Curious about this, my bob does a mild version of this

Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My bike started doing the same thing at around 8,000 miles. I adjusted the fall away, replaced the front springs with progressive stock length ones and replaced the oil. Not sure which step cured the problem but no more clunk and bike handles better than it ever did stock

Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with fall away settings. Also, check your tank bolts too.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
I agree with fall away settings. Also, check your tank bolts too.

check tank bolts with a torque wrench first easy to do and worth doing before you get in to anything labor intensive

Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I have heard that the noise is actually from the front rotors (which are floating rotors) and that is what causes the noise.

Quick Reply: hard braking leads to knocking noise...