Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going 2 Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Loreto
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going 2 Up

never taken 2 up on my bike and was wondering what is a good seat to grab for my street bob and also tips on how to get ready to put someone on the back of it....thanks

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is just based on my own experience taking the wife and sometimes my son and daughter alternately riding 2 up. (been riding for about 14 years now)
-
First, think about passenger comfort.
This means seat and pegs. Make sure they're both comfy for the passenger otherwise they'll be squirming in the back and make unnecessary movements at inopportune times.
Also consider sissy bar with backrest pad.
-
Teach them to mount and dismount properly. Tell them not to get on until you are seated and have the bike off the kickstand and upright. Also, at your destination, let them dismount first before you do
-
I would suggest taking short rides with a passenger first (couple times around the block) til you get confident. Or find an empty parking lot to practice. There is a learning curve, for some it wil be short, some might need more practice.
-
Experienced passengers can lean with you on turns, Non experienced passengers should stay still or just maintain normal sitting position until you both develop the skill, confidence.
-
I'm sure someone else will chime in and add their input.
Ride safe!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,185 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Loreto
never taken 2 up on my bike and was wondering what is a good seat to grab for my street bob and also tips on how to get ready to put someone on the back of it....thanks

I installed a sundowner on my low rider.my wife likes this one, went with me on 1 ride with stock seat, said I had to change seat before would go again.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knightenforcer
-
First, think about passenger comfort.
This means seat and pegs. Make sure they're both comfy for the passenger otherwise they'll be squirming in the back and make unnecessary movements at inopportune times.
Also consider sissy bar with backrest pad.
-
Teach them to mount and dismount properly. Tell them not to get on until you are seated and have the bike off the kickstand and upright. Also, at your destination, let them dismount first before you do
-
I would suggest taking short rides with a passenger first (couple times around the block) til you get confident. Or find an empty parking lot to practice. There is a learning curve, for some it wil be short, some might need more practice.
-
Experienced passengers can lean with you on turns, Non experienced passengers should stay still or just maintain normal sitting position until you both develop the skill, confidence.
-
I'm sure someone else will chime in and add their input.
Ride safe!
I agree with all this except the passenger leaning part. I don't allow my passenger to lean at all.

The reason for me is that I don't know how far they are going to lean and I was caught off guard once...could have been a bad situation.

I feel that they should stay put and believe that is the safest way.

My wife is a pretty good passenger and now I have an additional Bich-on the back!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never ridden 2 up either. Never really had to, but I'm looking to pick up a 2up seat as well at some point, just in case. Looking at a Danny Gray Weekend 2up or a Mustang.

But anyway, I read somewhere that the easiest thing for a passenger to do is to sit still and when turning, to put their head on the side of yours, in the direction you're turning. And that should automatically put their body in the correct position.

Confirm/deny??

Last edited by JDisME; 08-14-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM
2011 FXDB
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride 2-Up a lot. I find that having the passenger be consistent is the most important....at speed, lean or don't lean...just don't suddenly do something else.

The most important thing I ask of a passenger is when I am going slow (maneuvering for parking, etc.) that they do not move around. I have found that their natural reaction as you slow to park that they start preparing to get off or something....thinking slow it doesn't matter as much. But as we know, slow and turning you are often right on the edge of balance and a sudden movement can be very surprising.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM
103bob
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

as far as tips like everyone else said. as far as seats id reccomend going to surdyke and buying the HD pillion pad for the street bob. My girl loves it much comfier since it is a little wider.

If your stret bob is 09 or earlier
http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...mber=51535-06A

If your street bob is 09 or later
http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=51404-10

Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 AM
dagnabit
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Be prepared to play with your shock settings a bit to figure out the best balance between bottoming out and a harsh ride. The suggestion for trying it out in an empty parking lot first is a good one. For me, the biggest adjustment was braking. Not just how much harder it is to stop the bike with a passenger on, but not stopping too quick so my wife didnt feel like she was sliding forward.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 PM
FrankNstein
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where this came from, but been preaching it for about 20 years.

1. The bike will lean when it turns, so passenger must accept that the big gyroscopes underneath will not let us fall.
2. Passenger can look over your shoulder to see where we are turning, keep weight centered in the seat.
3. We will go and stop. Passenger can lean forward slightly when accelerating and lean back slightly when stopping, all in the stomach. I'm not trying to throw you off the back if you are not trying to push me into the gas tank.
4. Keep your feet on the pegs - always. I do not need your help holding the bike up at a stop. Tell me if you need to stretch your legs.
5. Smack on the left leg - wake up, something is happening, hold on, going to pass, etc.
All this usually makes the passenger know they are part of the ride and not just luggage. A pony ride with gradual inputs is of course the best start, on your own after that. A friend of mine's wife wanted to see how fast my 900 Ninja would go, with her howling Yee Haa!! on the back all the way.
Be careful out there.
E.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Riding 2up... As mentioned, make sure she is comfortable. If she is uncomfortable, she will be miserable, and so will you.

My wife has a love hate relationship with my FXR. It's more fun, BUT, she finds it uncomfortable.

I have a Sundowner on the Dyna, and she's MUCH happier.

There is much more, but, give it a whirl, and see how y'all feel. It may come easy, or hard. Won't know until you try.

Chase

Quick Reply: Going 2 Up