Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FL Nacelle on 41mm wideglide, my next project

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Shovel Nacelle on 41mm wideglide, my next project

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a used FL headlight nacelle off Ebay.from what I gather this is possible with my stock wideglide 41mm trees with some outside the box thinking, not proven but the idea might just work. The top tree on all wideglide glides up to 06 are basically the same as the old FL's, the lower tree is identical but lacks the standoff to mount the cow bells, but that's not a problem for me as I plan on using the Gators I have on there now. So the top mounting points is a no brainer because the threaded holes are there already, for the lower mounting points on the nacelle I plan on drilling new holes into the nacelle just above the old ones and of course fill those holes in, then I will use my windshield docking brackets as mounting point for the nacelle, the docking hardware I have is the older style that clamps on the forks just above the lower tree. My is a 2002 FXd with wideglide front end so it has the 28 degree rake and should have no issue with headlight aim. Anyway that's the theory, and in the next couple of weeks I will get at the practical portion of the project, would love to start this sooner but have to wait for the nacelle to come in the next 10 days.

If anyone has done this or I am missing something that may pose a problem please chime in, I will keep you guys posted on the progress but will be in a couple of weeks.

Attached Thumbnails FL Nacelle on 41mm wideglide, my next project-_58.jpg   FL Nacelle on 41mm wideglide, my next project-_59.jpg  

Last edited by Robtarra39; 09-12-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a used FL headlight nacelle off Ebay.from what I gather this is possible with my stock wideglide 41mm trees with some outside the box thinking, not proven but the idea might just work. The top tree on all wideglide glides up to 06 are basically the same as the old FL's, the lower tree is identical but lacks the standoff to mount the cow bells, but that's not a problem for me as I plan on using the Gators I have on there now. So the top mounting points is a no brainer because the threaded holes are there already, for the lower mounting points on the nacelle I plan on drilling new holes into the nacelle just above the old ones and of course fill those holes in, then I will use my windshield docking brackets as mounting point for the nacelle, the docking hardware I have is the older style that clamps on the forks just above the lower tree. My is a 2002 FXd with wideglide front end so it has the 28 degree rake and should have no issue with headlight aim. Anyway that's the theory, and in the next couple of weeks I will get at the practical portion of the project, would love to start this sooner but have to wait for the nacelle to come in the next 10 days.

If anyone has done this or I am missing something that may pose a problem please chime in, I will keep you guys posted on the progress but will be in a couple of weeks.
I know 100% if you purchased a set of 1967 set of triple trees all of your problems are solved. No modifications needed and has everything. There are many year triple tree(s) with the same part number. By the time you finish modifying your trees you could have bought 2 sets or more of the older triple trees.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

you are correct there are other lower trees, but I want to keep the steering lock and stock fork stop, and the heritage trees are closer to the neck and reduce turning radius, at least that's what I have learned

Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Well I got to working on the Nacelle, when I got it it was dirty and needing a good polish, I started to mock it up on the bike and so far looking like it won't be that hard to do, stock wideglide top tree works just fine, and the lower tree only needs a nut spot welded on the ends to hold the nacelle, I won't be doing cow bells as I am keeping the gators for a different look.I ordered the lowering kit and still waiting on it, I plan on lowering the front an inch.i ain't going for the DuoGlide look but more of the old shovel look that was popular in my area in the 70's

Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Looks good so far.

I see you've got the silver motor with black jugs. I did the same thing, love the way it looks. Subtle mod that not a lot of people notice.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got to working on the Nacelle, when I got it it was dirty and needing a good polish, I started to mock it up on the bike and so far looking like it won't be that hard to do, stock wideglide top tree works just fine, and the lower tree only needs a nut spot welded on the ends to hold the nacelle, I won't be doing cow bells as I am keeping the gators for a different look.I ordered the lowering kit and still waiting on it, I plan on lowering the front an inch.i ain't going for the DuoGlide look but more of the old shovel look that was popular in my area in the 70's

Watching this close - I wanted to try and squeeze the fatboy headlight backing cover - when I switch to a 7" light - wondering if that fits leaving me enough room to fab it.

George

Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Watching this close - I wanted to try and squeeze the fatboy headlight backing cover - when I switch to a 7" light - wondering if that fits leaving me enough room to fab it.

George

The fatboy tins use different triple trees, if you bought the fatboy triple trees then you would be good to go, but I wanted the old FL nacelle and my top stock top tree is fine, I will be welding a nut on each end of the bottom tree to mount the nacelle and use the stock upper tree that already has the tapped hole to mount the top of the nacelle

Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fatboy tins use different triple trees, if you bought the fatboy triple trees then you would be good to go, but I wanted the old FL nacelle and my top stock top tree is fine, I will be welding a nut on each end of the bottom tree to mount the nacelle and use the stock upper tree that already has the tapped hole to mount the top of the nacelle
Thanks - was hoping to hide all the wires - I guess the 7inch light will cover most everything.
Anyway can't wait to see yours all done - the bike looks great.

Question on the rear fender - was it a bear to fit in place - and how about the seat - still stock?

George

Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Thanks - was hoping to hide all the wires - I guess the 7inch light will cover most everything.
Anyway can't wait to see yours all done - the bike looks great.

Question on the rear fender - was it a bear to fit in place - and how about the seat - still stock?

George

Fender was easy to do, it came from a 2002 roadking, had to fill in holes and drill new ones and it between the struts and used 1/8 spacers to fill in the gap on each side, I have 2 seats a mustang wide solo and passenger pillion also have a mustang solo tripper

Last edited by Robtarra39; 09-11-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Rob, where'd you find/source the electronics side cover? I've been looking for something similar, but no luck.

Quick Reply: FL Nacelle on 41mm wideglide, my next project