Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

07 Dyna dies at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM
rdnether
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Dyna dies at idle

I've ridden most of my life, but just purchased my first Harley a few weeks ago. 2007 Street Bob with right at 10k miles. I'm loving this bike!

I've put about 300 miles on it, everything seemed to be great. Earlier this week I was out riding, on a highway at about 65mph. Had been running at that speed for about 15 minutes. As I was coming up to a stop, I pulled in the clutch and let off the throttle. It died immediately. That happened all the way home. Ran fine as long as I gave it a little throttle, but as soon as I went to idle it would die.

The next morning it started, and idled just fine. Like everything was great.

This bike does have aftermarket exhaust, I believe that to be the only engine modification.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:09 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

it "could" be the variable speed sensor in the top of the tranny is failing or dirty. Usually you will also get a speedometer fluctuation and or the self cancelling feature on turn signal will fail to work. And for some reason the bike will want to die at idle. I can't remember if the last one I did threw a diagnostic code or not , but it might be worth seeing if there are any historic codes stored to narrow it down When it happens again you might want to watch to see if the turns signals will cancel. Sometimes you can pull it out and just clean the pick up on it but , usually once they start acting up your better of replacing it .

The following users liked this post:
rdnether (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 PM
rdnether
2nd Gear

Thanks! I will keep an eye on both the turn signal self cancel and the speedometer. I have not noticed anything unusual with the speedometer or the self cancel as of yet.

I did not mention this in my original post but the check engine light did not come on. How do I check historic codes?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 622 Posts

06/07 had a lot of failed IAC motors (the motor with the pintle that controls the idle). If the speed sensor stops reading, it will affect the speedo, blinkers and the IAC. If the speedo and blinkers are fine, look at the IAC.

rdnether (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 03:19 PM
rdnether
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the input!

Is it normal for the speed sensor or the IAC to be intermittent? Or a temperature related fail?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

IAC in 06 had a lot of issues and some followwd to 07 - Usually once they got hot. They could certainly be intermittent.

I have also seen a poor connection for the IAC at the ECM connector - simply unplugging and replugging it fixed several.

The way the IAC works is it is a metered air leak that controls idle. When you are riding down the road, it opens up higher than base idle so if you shut the throttle fast or come to a stop the bilke will keep running.

You may have noticed that if you put your bike in neutral and coast (engine running), the idle stays a little high. That is the speed sensor telling the ECM you are moving and the ECM opening the IAC to prevent a stall. Then when you come to a stop the idle settles down.

rdnether (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The following procedure will instruct in retrieving and clearing ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes and TSM/TSSM codes through the Harley guage cluster as well as a list of codes.

1- Turn Ignition switchto OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer resetbutton in & hold.

3- Turnignition switchto Ignition and release the odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word "diag" should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer resetbutton once and you will seethe selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer resetbutton one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM(Electronic Control Module)[EFI] /Ignition Control Module[Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer resetbutton in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word "none" will appear if there are no DTC's. Push the odometer resetbutton again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC's are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer resetbutton. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC's again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 - Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 - Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" (no response) will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

got this off fuel moto site , they have more info on the on codes etc

rdnether (10-10-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:51 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Start with the simple stuff. The first thing I would do is get some throttle body cleaner and get all the gunk out of the IAC. Cycle the run switch a couple of times so you can spray it completely. Stuff a clean rag behind it so the dirt won't run into the intake.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
Start with the simple stuff. The first thing I would do is get some throttle body cleaner and get all the gunk out of the IAC. Cycle the run switch a couple of times so you can spray it completely. Stuff a clean rag behind it so the dirt won't run into the intake.
Nevil, I've never seen a TC IAC that dirty, but if that were the case it wouldn't be intermittent.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

My 07 did that alot when new. There is a bulletin about cleaning IAC. Take cover off, around 11 oclock there is a hole, spray cleaner in there. Cycle power on and off, will hear motor come on and off.

Black gunk comes out. Put paper towel in opening to engine.

Quick Reply: 07 Dyna dies at idle