Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Exsomos
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?

Hi everyone! i just got my first Harley. A Vivid Black 2013 Street Glide. I LOVE it! I need to lower it, cuz im a short dude.

I have ridden for 4 years now, i had a v star 1100. I installed LED bulbs in it, and it was a chore to get them to fit into those stock passing lamp housings. They were sealed beams and i had to get very creative. But it was worth it. I love having the bright white LED's. Halogen sucks.

I was curious, can you fit a regular bulb into the stock 4.5" passing lamps? is there enough room? I was looking at something like these:
Amazon Amazon

I know that i can get those DayMakers LED's, but i really don't care for the looks. Id prefer to keep my stock lenses and just add LED bulbs. I think i get them in a similar wattage, so i don't have any bulb error codes. I just really want to know if any one has been able to fit those bulbs in the stock passing light housings?

Anyone able to smack some knowledge my way on this?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Exsomos
Hi everyone! i just got my first Harley. A Vivid Black 2013 Street Glide. I LOVE it! I need to lower it, cuz im a short dude.

I have ridden for 4 years now, i had a v star 1100. I installed LED bulbs in it, and it was a chore to get them to fit into those stock passing lamp housings. They were sealed beams and i had to get very creative. But it was worth it. I love having the bright white LED's. Halogen sucks.

I was curious, can you fit a regular bulb into the stock 4.5" passing lamps? is there enough room? I was looking at something like these: https://www.amazon.com/LED-Headlight...=881+led+cooki

I know that i can get those DayMakers LED's, but i really don't care for the looks. Id prefer to keep my stock lenses and just add LED bulbs. I think i get them in a similar wattage, so i don't have any bulb error codes. I just really want to know if any one has been able to fit those bulbs in the stock passing light housings?

Anyone able to smack some knowledge my way on this?
I suggest you look at forum sponsor DK Custom Products. They have what you need, I used them for both the headlights and the passing lamps on both of my bikes.

Good people, easy to deal with and prompt shipping.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Prem...-H4-HL-LED.htm

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Prem...-05-PL-LED.htm

Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I installed Truck Lite phase 7 lamps in my 2012 FLHTK. They were a direct replacement for the headlamp and spot lights. I'll post photo that shows my bike in the front with the Truck lites turned on. The bike on the right has Harley Day Makers for comparison. Here is a link to the lights for sale on ebay. I spent $327.00 for my set. I couldn't be happier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Lights...FY2UNQ&vxp=mtr

Old 06-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Exsomos
Advanced

Thanks for the Links for the DK Customs and the Eagle Lights folks, much appreciated.

Now comes the item that has me the most concerned.... Are these gonna throw an Error Code??? Or possibly disable my Street Glide? I've heard that there is a CanBus system in some harleys. Again, i have a 2013 Street Glide. i was going to get 30watt led's for the passing lamp, but 55/60 watt LED single bulbs are harder to find.

If i end up throwing a code, then i'm gonna have to do the whole capacitor/diode/resister thing. And if i have to do all that, then i'll just go with the Daymakers. (which some can still cause that issue, grrrr) Which i was trying to avoid, as i like the stock clear clean lens look.

Anyone know anything about error codes and all that for my street glide?

Last edited by Exsomos; 06-26-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 2014 heritage that has a CanBus system. I change the headlight and the passing light to the led from DK . And it has been fine.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:34 AM
Exsomos
Advanced

So I may be able to get away with regular LED bulbs. Cool. Fingers crossed no error codes.

I'll post back in a week or two when I get them.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Exsomos
Advanced

Ok, i ordered a 60w H4 LED for the headlight. I do not mean a 60 watt equivalent. It is actually a 60 watt LED bulb. Its 6,000 lumens, per bulb. I did that in hopes that it sees it as a 60 watt bulb, and shouldn't read it as a lower wattage, and see that as "burnt out" and throw an error code. It shouldn't in all theory...
Ill report back if it does.

As far as the Passing lamps... The previous owner added them at the time of purchase, and Harley hard wired them in, so they are "hard wired" and always on (when the bike is running). Not my personal preference, but whatever, i might fix that later, and hook them up to a spot or accessory inner fairing switch. SO, i don't think they are installed into a bulb port connection. So maybe they wont throw a code? I ordered 20watt (each bulb) LED's, so i'm hoping they either are separate from that CanBus system, or have enough power to not throw a code.

Wish me luck. Ill post pics when i get them installed. Wont arrive until the 9th of July or so.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I put a pair of Cree 60 watt in my passing lights. Nice and white but didnt throw out much light. Total waste of money. Replacement led's just dont work against a halogen reflector very well. I was warned they would suck but I had to try for myself. Yep, they suck. Bottom line is to get good light out of an led it needs to have a reflector that will work with the way the led shines the light. That means get a kit designed as an led light. Mix and match halogen reflector and led bulb just doesn't work.

BTW no codes were set or trouble with the bike for the 2 days I had them in.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Exsomos
Advanced

Got them installed, Went with some COB Led's.(see a few posts back for more details on the bulbs) The fog lights i wasnt as concerned as much about getting a error code, since they were "hard wired" buy the Harley dealer for the previous owner.

I went with a 60 watt, not equivalent, but actual 60 watt LED cob bulb, its very bright. its not a focused beam like the day makers, its just like the halogen. Not patchy or anything. I aagree that the lens style LED's are much more focused, and provide a little better light throw, but these are much much much better than stock bulbs, For those that want an improvement without having to go DayMakers, this was faster cheaper. I dont want to start an argument over why you shouldnt do LED bulbs in haolgen housings, what ever, its brghter, and im happy. I dont care about blinding people, which this doesnt, i want to be seen, and be able to see. These help with that well, and the price is right.

If any really really wants a night time shot of the beam throw, let me know, and ill do that.

Im happy, they look great. Pics are kinda hard to do justice. They are both the exact same shade of 6000k. and they are brighter than stock halogen, that is for sure. And they do not get hot, which is a plus.

BONUS, see pic to see stretched bags and it lowered 2". WOOT.
I have the DIY air ride kit being installed in a week or two, when everything gets here. super excited.

Maybe one day, ill do the DayMakers. But for now, they look and work great. I think the Passing 881's were like $11 for the set, and the main lamp the H4, came in a set of 2, so i have a spare, were like $24. SO they were definitely cost effective.

Attached Thumbnails Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?-hf-1-.jpg   Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?-hf-2-.jpg   Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?-hf-3-.jpg   Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?-hf-4-.jpg   Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?-hf-5-.jpg  

Led Bulbs fit in Stock Spot/Passing Housings?-hf-6-.jpg  

Last edited by Exsomos; 07-23-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling and thoughts