Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2008 Road King Accesory Fuse Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:35 AM
alekabee
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Road King Accesory Fuse Blowing

Hey guys, I just picked up a new to me Road King Classic. My headlights and brake light and right turn signal have been going out daily and blown accessory fuse. When I first picked it up it would not blow while running, but after stopping to get fuel when I turned the ignition I'd have no lights and a blown fuse. I removed the nacelle and head light and everything appeared fine so I put it all back together and was told by the previous owner it "needed" a higher amp fuse. I put a 25 amp in and for about 3 days it never blew. The fourth morning I went to ride and it was blown. Tonight I put 2 fuses in it, both times I turned the ignition and just let it sit with the lights on and after several minutes of it not blowing I got on the bike to take it out. Both times, as soon as I got on and lifted the bike off the kickstand the lights went out. As far as modifications there are ape hangers and a sound system on the bike not sure if a DIY install or a shop. One odd thing I noticed is there is a brass or copper, small metal piece that was in once of the slots that the fuse prong goes into, in the accesory spot. It has what I assume is an inline fuse connected to it. A fuse will not secure in the slot without that metal piece inserted?? Thanks for any ideas and advice. I have no idea where to start with electrical.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

First thing, quit messing around with higher amperage rated fuses, the 15 amp fuse that is supposed to be there is rated to fail to protect the wiring.

You probably have a wire that has chafed and is touching ground.

The first place to inspect is underneath the rear fender, the wiring that goes to the rear lights.

The wire in question is Orange and White.