Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Electrical Issue with Alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 05:53 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Electrical Issue with Alarm...

2010 Ultra Limited w/ 23000 miles. Only electrical "changes" are the addition of the HD Inline Connector to keep the Passing Lamps on with High Beam, and the HD Inline RUN/BRAKE/TURN connector.

Also I have a PC5 Inline to the computer.

Last night I hopped on my ride with my key fob in my pocket went to start and nothing. Bike was acting as if the alarm was going off and Key Fob wasn't around... I first thought... OK maybe the battery in the fob went bad... Well I changed that and it didn't change a thing. Still NO START.

Then I noticed as I turned the ignition off that while the alarm was going off the Speedo Light, Odometer, and Radio would flash on and off while the alarm was going off.

Then I noticed also that when the alarm sets or goes off the switch console also flashes with power. (with the passing lamp adapter on if I have the passing lamp switch on they flash with the turn signals when the alarm goes off)

Any thoughts on where to start or does this sound like a problem that others have had before? Can someone point me in the right direction?

I removed the PC5 and hooked the ECM up normally to see if it was a problem with the PC5 connection but it still did it.

I also removed the Passing Lamp Power Adapter to see if that was the cause, but, the only difference here is that the passing lamps wouldn't flash even with the switch on (which makes me believe that the power is coming from the accessories line... which gives power to the radio, speedo, and odometer while in accessory mode)

I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I tried the SEARCH function but wasn't having much luck.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE IN ADVANCE!

RON

I have a video of it in action if I can figure out how to upload them I will update with a video link...

Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Have you tried to use the code to disable the alarm, do you have another FOB that works as your current on may need to be paired back to the BCU?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:46 PM
rgrecco
Road Master

She eventually started up with the key fob present when I went to use the by-pass code...

It isn't really the NO START that is concerning me but the Accessory Power pick-up from somewhere that is causing the Speedometer, Odometer, Spotlights, and switches to light up when the alarm sets or when the alarm goes off...

Old 08-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

I cannot confirm but isn't that normal operation on the touring bikes?

Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM
rgrecco
Road Master

I was hoping for someone to confirm that or not.

I do not believe it is... The radio flashing with the alarm seems odd...

But maybe someone will see this that had a touring bike and let me know of its normal or not but that may not happen as i haven't gotten any help thus far...

Old 09-04-2017, 08:24 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Well you got me to thinking,so i went out and tripped my alarm.I have an 08 ultra with full security system (with siren) also has spot light by pass harness.The only lights flashing with alarm tripped were the signal lights.radio and head,spot lights stayed lit.All i did was turn ignition switch to on position and waited for alarm to trip.Harley most likely has not changed any thing from 08 to 10 in regards to that..Now with that said,with todays completely electronic vehicles(bikes and cars) and security systems when the battery voltage falls below 11 or 12 volts(resting volts)some quirky strange things can happen.make sure your battery is 100 %

Old 09-04-2017, 01:50 PM
rgrecco
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1340hog
Well you got me to thinking,so i went out and tripped my alarm.I have an 08 ultra with full security system (with siren) also has spot light by pass harness.The only lights flashing with alarm tripped were the signal lights.radio and head,spot lights stayed lit.All i did was turn ignition switch to on position and waited for alarm to trip.Harley most likely has not changed any thing from 08 to 10 in regards to that..Now with that said,with todays completely electronic vehicles(bikes and cars) and security systems when the battery voltage falls below 11 or 12 volts(resting volts)some quirky strange things can happen.make sure your battery is 100 %
I am going to try to find an easy way to test the battery without taking everything apart... I tried a voltage meter and nearly fried myself doing it... read NOTHING and the wires started heating up... OOPS...

Thanks for that bit of info... Now here is the real test...

With the alarm system set and the key fob AWAY from the bike... keep the IGNITION OFF and set off the alarm... have your spot lights switched in the ON position and let me know what happens...

I am getting intermittent power to all the switches, the radio, and the odometer with the Ignition OFF when the alarm goes off...

Old 09-04-2017, 02:54 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

well i have done that wrenching on it with fob away from bike,light switches in the on position ,no lights come on(again except blinkers) with ignition off.something is not right with your bike,have you done any wiring,rewiring on any part of the bike recently?If so check your work.I,m not sure i understand how you were checking voltage on the battery and the fact that it got hot.you should not have to unhook every thing to check the voltage.the only time i ever had a volt meter heat up is when i check an over 10 amp system with the volt meter set at under 10 amp setting.the test lead wires started to melt,like you said oops.

Last edited by 1340hog; 09-04-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:40 PM
rgrecco
Road Master

I have not done any wiring and everything appears to be stock.

I purchased the bike from an older gentleman who had all wprk done at a HD Dealer. The only electrical additions i noticed are he had a garmen hardwored to the acc headlight power which i removed. There are 2 Gerbing Heated Gear adapters connected dorectly to the battery, a Trickle Charger pigtail hooked directly to the battery and the addition of the HD Plug for Spotlight while High Beam, HD RUN/BRAKE/TURN plug, and the addition of the PC5...

other then that i dont see anything else...

Im at a loss and am no electrician... Im afraid of what this is going to cost at a dealer to trace and fix...

Old 09-05-2017, 02:50 AM
RedRanger7
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Put your voltmeter on 20VDC (volts direct current) and poke the probes into the socket where you plug your battery tender. Sounds like a job for a mechanic if you are not very good with electricity. Try looking up voltage checks on Harley on you tube for some help, or else there should be something on Delboys Garage on you tube. If voltmeter says less than 12 volts not running, could be a weak battery, should read around 14 volts when running. The battery is the heart of our bikes, if it is weak then you cannot do a proper diagnosis on any other electrical problems on your bike. Good luck, hope you can figure out the problem soon.

Dave 04 XL1200C

Last edited by RedRanger7; 09-05-2017 at 02:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rgrecco (09-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue with Alarm...