Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

87 fxr Starter keeps cranking after turn off key

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 PM
dannybam
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 fxr Starter keeps cranking after turn off key

Hi there I'm a new member I've had this reoccurring problem where my starter keeps cranking after I turn the key off melting my negative terminal so I've come to the conclusion by speaking with people and realizing myself that the battery if it's too low the starter will not stop spinning so now every time before I start my bike I have to make sure the battery is very well charged above 12.5 the check the charging system make sure that it goes 13 or higher once once revved to 2000 RPMs are higher this is very unsettling to me as if I ride somewhere and park the bike for a few hours to come back I have to check the battery and if the battery is low I'll have to find some way to charge it I'm afraid to take the risk and start it up and have the battery terminal melt because I have 10 seconds to grab a 10 mm wrench and undo the negative terminal so this is pretty ridiculous
is there anybody who's got any suggestions about this problem thank you!🤡

Last edited by dannybam; 03-07-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: model was mispelled
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Man, you need to think about punctuation and paragraphs, some of us have old eyes...

How old is the battery?

Did this issue just start?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-07-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:55 AM
dannybam
Novice

Battery 1 year old reoccurring problem last 3 or so years

Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Sounds like either the starter relay or the solenoid is sticking, batt voltage does not retract the pinion it is based on starter speed vs engine speed. If either are sticking it will cause the starter to remain engaged, and if the clutch on the starter pinion is not disengaging properly it could turn your starter into a generator with no power regulator on it.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 PM
dannybam
Novice

Hey man thanks a lot for your reply the bike did start after I charge the battery just a little bit and put an alligator clip on the negative terminal just in case I needed to pull it off real quick that work the bike started that's why I'm not sure if it is the starter solenoid or the relay they both seem to be working and the charging system when I put on a multimeter is reading 13 or above indicating that the charging system is working the stator and regulator I spoke to two guys the West Coast California that have fxrs like mine they know the bike really well they said the same thing man it's the battery battery but it's still discomforting for me I don't understand or what to do about it cuz it makes me very nervous having to deal with this starter continuing the spinning and then burning out my negative battery could leave me stranded anywhere any more suggestions please let me know thank you very much

Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
dannybam
Novice

But then again I never tested the relay and I don't know how to I don't know maybe I should change the relay and take the starter solenoid apart and clean the contacts don't know anybody know let me know thank you

Old 03-09-2018, 06:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You've had this problem for around 3 years?! Have you done other things during that time, such as changing bars, fitting apes with internal wiring? Anything else you care to admit to? Help us to help you! And for Pete's sake use punctuation.....

Old 03-09-2018, 08:04 AM
dannybam
Novice

I'm sorry is my thread not clear?
yes I've had the problem for about 3 years are you suggesting that there might be an electrical short?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 AM
dannybam
Novice

Well I did add some lights to my saddlebags stator was changed regulator was changed
voltage regulator and the solenoid were both changed very recently
if there is a short it's not affecting the charge of my battery so I don't know how that would affect the starter from keep spinning
thanx

Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by dannybam
I'm sorry is my thread not clear?
yes I've had the problem for about 3 years are you suggesting that there might be an electrical short?
What is clear is that you have an electrical problem which has apparently done serious damage, such as to a battery, and persists despite all you've done so far. And yes, there may well be an electrical short. In fact there could be several things wrong, which can make sorting the problem out a real challenge. Work your way through the suggestions made above. Alternatively find a local indy and consult him. He can see, touch and test your bike for you, which we cannot do in here, and should be able to give you a prompt and precise diagnosis.

Quick Reply: 87 fxr Starter keeps cranking after turn off key