Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Threw away my soldering iron.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 AM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Don't worry about the technical bullshitters, I appreciate the information. Never heard of these before, but I'm damn sure gonna give them a shot.
Thanks

Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 AM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by motohaid
Man I give up. Don't use solder sleeves. I won't make the mistake of suggesting anything to this bunch again.
Wrong attitude - you should be happy that people cared enough about your post to debate them - good or bad.

I appreciated it - not sure how good they'll be, but I appreciated the "head's up" on them.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (08-06-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts
Thumbs up

yep, debate is good and i respect ALL opinions even max's! no body will see eye to eye but that is what makes a forum GREAT!. your suggestion has opened the way to countless of persons not knowing this is available, their decision to use it. when you get to high frequency/voltage, the game changes but shoot, nothing exotic for hd. would i use it, hummm, depends, i am old school and have equipment, but that does not mean i WILL NOT try it, i tried shark bite copper fittings over sweated and i am impressed.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:09 PM
Nielsds
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a proper review !

My interpretation: It will be good enough for motorcycles.

Still i'll always will be choosing "the best" which still seems to be traditional soldering (if you do it correct !)

Old 12-27-2018, 03:51 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I just saw these, Have YOU tried them? I'd like to hear it from someone directly than a paid for evaluation.
A while back my Polaris had a bad wire due to it being stretched too tight from the factory. Polaris sent out a fix-it kit that had these in it. I can say, they are watertight and very convenient I have been looking for some that I can use to wire in my amp into the new bike, they sell on Amazon...thanks to the OP for the reminder.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

I've used solder sleeves on F-16 aircraft and haven't had an issue. Best practice is to tin the wires before putting them into the sleeve and use a heat gun. They even have some for coax and triax wires.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:56 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

I just bought the kit on Amazon that has 120 connectors. I also got a heat gun to go with it. I am ready to start doing stereo upgrades!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:13 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,246 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Nielsds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ddj2o1DWvA

Thats a proper review !

My interpretation: It will be good enough for motorcycles.

Still i'll always will be choosing "the best" which still seems to be traditional soldering (if you do it correct !)
Another thing to consider for using traditional high heat solder is not only will the solder penetrate throughout all of the strands, but because of that the electrical connection will retain extremely low resistance even when/if the joint is subjected to moisture/corrosion. A cold solder joint will be vulnerable to moisture/corrosion due to fewer strands of wire actually being electrically sound in true conduction. And, if fewer strands of wire actually conduct the current, there will be a voltage drop which will result in higher current draw in order to perform normally. This will result in failure of the electrical part in which the current is being applied to, or to the few strands of wire conducting that current to heat up and possibly fail as well.

Last edited by hvacgaspiping; 01-02-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,246 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
I've used solder sleeves on F-16 aircraft and haven't had an issue. Best practice is to tin the wires before putting them into the sleeve and use a heat gun. They even have some for coax and triax wires.
If you`re gonna go to the trouble of tinning the wires, it would be better to use a soldering iron/gun and concentrate the heat on the solder joint. A heat gun will also heat up the insulation close to the joint, thereby degrading the insulating properties of the insulation. Plus, the joint will have full solder penetration with the soldering iron/gun, giving it a better electrical connection that will be way more resistant to moisture/corrosion and amp draw.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:52 PM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,252 Likes on 1,550 Posts

I've used them. They work well.

Quick Reply: Threw away my soldering iron.