Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

14 volt power source for 12 volt heated gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:14 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 14 volt power source for 12 volt heated gear?

I have a 2009 Low Rider and have been told there isn't enough excess electric output to power Gerbing heated gloves, socks, pants and jacket liner. Gerbing makes a 7 volt battery and I was wondering if anyone tried powering heated clothes with 2 7 volt batteries hooked in parallel to get 14 volt? I have looked for 12 volt battery power pack and found one from Mobile Warming Store but they say the plugs aren't compatible with Gerbing. (I thought coax plugs were all the same???) I realize the best thing would be to beef up the bikes output of EEC but so far I've only found that Harley makes a rotor and stator to do this for about $500 on touring bikes, not my Low Rider. I would replace the rotor and stator if someone could tell me what I need to buy and where? I'll ask Harley about it but they are so busy with the holiday that they haven't gotten back to me yet from a call I made to them for a question I had 2 days ago and the guy had said he'd call me back that day.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes I know I should buy a better bike that can handle this electrical power need but that has to wait about 3 years.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Why not get a small portable generator and attach it to a good heavy duty rear fender rack.
Even a huge 12 volts car battery is going to be short lived without a 120 amp alternator to keep it going.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-24-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Thanks Ripsaw. Any other solutions to providing required power total 173 watts and 12.5 amps for heated socks, gloves, liners above and beyond the normal draw on the electrical system?

Old 11-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
Thanks Ripsaw. Any other solutions to providing required power total 173 watts and 12.5 amps for heated socks, gloves, liners above and beyond the normal draw on the electrical system?
What did a reliable source say the allowable load over your stock charging system say it could be? ( I would ask that question to a Harley engineer at the Mother Ship 1-800 number. If they will be brave enough to answer) I have read numerous service manuals (I have over 50) and nowhere have I read what is allowable over. They just say do not overload it...
You could put an DC meter on battery and with a fully charged battery to start, run it at 2000 test RPM and check voltage. Probably 14.5 or so. Now hook up your stuff and do the same, what do you get. As long as it is 14 or so, you would be fine. But read on to get a big picture.

As is, they have no trouble keeping up as built. You could replace all the lighting with LED. Think but not positive your 2009 has a CANBUS they will allow you to do that without adding resistors for the signal lights. Then you would have that much more reserve.
My guess is it may power what you want. In cold weather, the added cooling air would help prolong the life (no idea how long) of the alternator (in the primary oil) and regulator in the wind.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-24-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

volts and amps .
Two different things.

If the amp draw is not really high I am sure you can plug it into your HD

Old 11-24-2018, 02:00 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Ripsaw, I already changed all but the tail light to LED and I did have to install the signal stabilizer for the lights. Also installed Smart Triple Play for the flashing rear brake lights. Two people at Revzilla told me my bike rates 3-1/2 stars out of 5 for Excess Electrical Capacity (whatever that actually translates to!) and they said I could use any combination of three heated gear items so if I eliminate the lowest power draw—the gloves are 2.2 amps/26 watts—the bike can handle that. The socks are about the same and I could improvise thick socks and I have some really warm boots I bought years ago for slave labor outdoors which have thick insulated insert but they are "clodhoppers." I'd rather be able to use all the electric gear so I don't feel tied up in overly thick layers anywhere.

Last edited by TerryMcQ; 11-24-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Kingglide, the socks are 2.3 amp/26 watt, gloves 2.2 amp/26 watt, pants liner 3.6 amp/44 watt, jacket liner 6.4 amp/77 watt. Total amps 12.5, total watts 173.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Kingglide, someone told me I could use them all but will kill batteries which could get expensive and I don't know if the electric system is designed to prioritize so electronic ignition always gets what it's supposed to as long as the battery isn't dead. I used to know a lot about automotive electric systems but with the fog of age I remember enough to be dangerous.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:11 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Ripsaw, I asked Harley. They said it probably won't handle it all. ANd I asked if they had a stator and rotor and regulator to beef it up other than the one I found on their online stor which is for the bigger engines, he couldn't find anything for the 96 cubic inch. As I already figured, he said if anyone has it it would be after-market. I've looked on J&P and they sell Cycle Electric kit that MIGHT put out a little more at 1,000 rpm but the same max at 3,000 rpm. I hate to have to spend $640 for something that MIGHT get a little more excess electric.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:19 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Something like this automotive fuse circuit tester would allow you to test amp draw.
Keep in mind this one is for the larger kind of fuses and they make another for smaller fuses.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ter-67724.html

Quick Reply: 14 volt power source for 12 volt heated gear?