Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

95 FLHTC electra glide fuse box diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 PM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Based on the test results I'm really starting to think it's a multitude of problems. Unsure what my next step is beside taking the fairing off and dive into every single wire (still plan on running that ground wire to the radio or radio bracket).

Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Ballantine
the ole lady gave my gimpy behind a hand with some 10 awg and I grounded antenna just behind the nut to the battery negative. 1st attempt it came on like a champ then every attempt there after I wasnt able to get Am or FM but WB5 always worked for some reason. These constant crazy results keep stumping me.
What changed between attempts?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
What changed between attempts?
nothing the first couple of times then I tried in different areas of the antenna to see if anything would bring it back. Each time I turned off the ignition switch.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

nothing the first couple of times then I tried in different areas of the antenna to see if anything would bring it back. Each time I turned off the ignition switch.
ok - so you played with rear lighting wires and it worked ( i suspect you moved another wire and that was the cause) and you grounded the antenna wire and it worked. I would 100% verify radio head unit ground and check the antenna wire for breaks. Keep cable grounded grounded - wiggle it around with the radio on. This really sounds like a wire or connection. I'm starting to suspect a bad radio antenna cable or connection to antenna. Sometimes the cables degrade internally. Push the antenna cable toward the connector that screws to the antenna when wiggling. Also - you said it was cutting out on bumps.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate

ok - so you played with rear lighting wires and it worked ( i suspect you moved another wire and that was the cause) and you grounded the antenna wire and it worked. I would 100% verify radio head unit ground and check the antenna wire for breaks. Keep cable grounded grounded - wiggle it around with the radio on. This really sounds like a wire or connection. I'm starting to suspect a bad radio antenna wire.
I'll need to remove the fairing for that, sounds like a good course of action and great resolution if its the problem. Thanks bud

Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I'll need to remove the fairing for that, sounds like a good course of action and great resolution if its the problem. Thanks bud
Leave the fairing on - I am talking about the tourpack side of the antenna. If you checked the radio ground, I'm ok with that for this part. I really think it might be a bad antenna cable or bad antenna connector.

Also look on page 57 for the antenna tests (link provided above for wiring diagram from 14 GuineaPig)

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate

Leave the fairing on - I am talking about the tourpack side of the antenna. If you checked the radio ground, I'm ok with that for this part. I really think it might be a bad antenna cable or bad antenna connector.
so basically do a continuity test. I can also try cleaning antenna connector up more too.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

so basically do a continuity test. I can also try cleaning antenna connector up more too.
I added the antenna test page as well in above post. I am really thinking bad antenna cable issue or the connection inside the mount where the antenna threads on.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:20 PM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate

Sounds like a plan, I hope I can do that tomorrow. Starting to feel like making progress.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Sounds like a plan, I hope I can do that tomorrow. Starting to feel like making progress.
If it were me, I would go out there, and with the antenna cable grounded, push hard/wiggle between the cable and the antenna like you are forcing it together as a quick test. It's very possible that after all these years, the threaded stud connection is bad in the mount. Don't tighten the antenna completely - make it so it's threaded on and you can have a few threads showing and push the stud into the mount.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 FLHTC electra glide fuse box diagram?