Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rebuffini buttons parts for my 2014 Breakout ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:45 AM
jekkil
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Rebuffini buttons parts for my 2014 Breakout ?

Hello,
on my Breakout 2014, I have decided to change the OEM commands (clutch and brake) by the Rebuffini ellipse ones

The problem I have discover is that I can reuse the original OEM buttons from HD for the buttons. I have to change and buy the solution proposed also by rebuffini

The question I have now is the following: would it be compatible with the CAN BUS system I have on my Breakout 2014 ?
If not, how should I interface them ?
I have heard that some CAN SWITCH BOX should be needed ? (https://tlt-moto.de/info_en.html)
Any helpful info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2019, 08:37 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

you will need the factory electrical to make a determination.
this is a general view and not necessarily hd.
some ecu's or as hd uses tssm use a 12vdc input from the switch and when this is seen by the module, it turns on that function and powers the output. in this situation, common switches can be used. now on the flip. some bar controls have a circuit board with a controller chip to interface with the can system. the chip uses a grid and for grins and giggles, it has 4x4 grid that allows for 16 inputs. say rt uses row 1 x column 1 which the controller recognizes and output on the can a interrupt and request, when the ecu sees the interrupt and is able, it takes the request (if busy, responds later, there is a hierarchy ) it communicates with the bar controller and turns on the request. in this situation, you will need the interface.
now, that does not mean you cannot use the hd circuit board with diff controls, you will need the pin out of the controller and rewire it with new switches, you can even locate the board in a diff area, a lot of trouble but doable. it seems like an off shelf product is available so it comes to time & money.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:22 PM
jekkil
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
you will need the factory electrical to make a determination.
this is a general view and not necessarily hd.
some ecu's or as hd uses tssm use a 12vdc input from the switch and when this is seen by the module, it turns on that function and powers the output. in this situation, common switches can be used. now on the flip. some bar controls have a circuit board with a controller chip to interface with the can system. the chip uses a grid and for grins and giggles, it has 4x4 grid that allows for 16 inputs. say rt uses row 1 x column 1 which the controller recognizes and output on the can a interrupt and request, when the ecu sees the interrupt and is able, it takes the request (if busy, responds later, there is a hierarchy ) it communicates with the bar controller and turns on the request. in this situation, you will need the interface.
now, that does not mean you cannot use the hd circuit board with diff controls, you will need the pin out of the controller and rewire it with new switches, you can even locate the board in a diff area, a lot of trouble but doable. it seems like an off shelf product is available so it comes to time & money.
Thanks for the answer even if it’s quite complex to understand 😅
Do you mean with the interface you mention something like this ? https://tlt-moto.de/info_en.html
if I’m not wrong on the 2014 Beeakout we already have the canbus and we need to convert a simple electric signal to this canbus.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

i am not familiar with the interface. mr. dan, mr. max or mr. brown are way more knowledgeable on the big twins and their systems but i believe you to be correct.
when the vehicles become smarter than their owners, we are in trouble, my wife's new car even wants to drive itself, naw, i turn all of that stuff off if i can. sadly, it is becoming extremely hard to go back to simple.