Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake-light sensor switch 91 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 02:23 PM
epikus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake-light sensor switch 91 FLHTCU

Cant re-install rear brake-light sensor switch on the 91 FLHTCU.
Doesnt help that its on the kik and not on a jack and i cant see it directly, but i can reach it fine. I can see it with a mirror. I just cant verify if im attempting a reasonable right angle on the thread cause the thread wont take and im trying for 3 days every angle possible. Tell me im not cursed! Makes no sense. Is there a trick or some voodoo priestess i need to sort this out for me?

Having never owned a harley, im pissed already that i couldnt find dot 5 brake fluid at any auto parts store.
And not happy to find these sensors have been burning out every year because of the exhaust heat, and they have done nothing to fix it. Make heat resistant switches, or design an electric/mechanical switch that operates off the pedal itself. No need for this switch and its invasive inline annual failures.

Some help on the "why i cant get this to rethread" and install this simple sensor and why i had to order it from out of canada and couldnt find people to ship it - on and fuking on took a fuking month to get the dot 5 fluid in the mail!!

So ya, im feelin the burn already.
I have a guy waiting for me to fix this switch, to certify, and a month later i still have this fkd up switch and no safety.

Last edited by epikus; 12-04-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

On the off chance you're not an OPW trying to stir the pot...

I don't remember it being that hard to replace. Nor is it expensive or that hard to find DOT 5. Unless there's something you left out of that rant...

Some thoughts.
Are you sure you have the correct part. The wrong threads or diameter would make it impossible to install.

Sometimes when I have difficulty starting threads I'll intentionally turn them backwards until I feel them seat/libe up.

Get a friend to hold the bike upright or a little over so you have easier access.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Me thinks thar be trolls in the midst. Lately, there are an awful lot of first post members asking specific technical questions that don't make sense. If the OP can't find DOT 5 brake fluid in Canada he should probably not be attempting to work on a bike. A quick Google search turns up lots of sources. I'll not say anything about his other mechanical skills.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 AM
epikus
2nd Gear

Dont know what an OPW is; so no, not one of those.
Im just a guy with a ridiculous unheard of special bubble of physics going on in my life that i am trying to gun the *** down and take charge of, and a problem that needed confirmation - "is there a trick to changing the sensor while on the kik?"

I love Harleys. Been trying for one for a long time.
I got one with a brake light out a month ago, had it tested for safety the next day, and a month later, i find out no local autoparts store carries the standard parts or fluids for HD, cept HD.
Seems that i have bought into a brand that someone doesnt want to see become too popular.
Maybe the mayors of most cities, but why the hell doesnt everybody carry Dot 5 brake fluid among their other grades,
and standard parts and fluids like any other bike on the market?
Surely 1/10 vehicles on the road is an HD.
No excuse!

Doesnt mean im an HD hater and Jap bike lover, to say it out loud - no way!
Harleys fit Americans, Jap bikes dont.
But HD is cutting off its own nose in not making sure their maintenance is readily available to HD lovers.

HD needs to step out from this seeming mayoral decision to discourage HD from riding the streets.

Anyways, got my answer. No tricks. Flip the ****** over and put the sensor on, then get a paint job to fix the brake sensor replacement procedure.

Repeat annually as needed.

My Google search showed me several places to buy it, out of country, and most would not ship to Canada,

Thanks for the help and support.
Seems i ran hopeful into a room full of oversensitive, paranoid old ladies.

Last edited by epikus; 12-05-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,025 Likes on 18,656 Posts

OPW ... One Post Wonder ... Many come here and ask a a question and then are never heard from again.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

epicus, your bike is 26 years old and unless you are the OP there is no knowing what previous owners have done to it. So take a deep breath, count to a large number slowly and get yourself over to the Evo forum, where you will find fellow owners of these bikes who can help you out. And stop ranting FFS!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM
epikus
2nd Gear

I know, im sorry, venting helps me keep it verbal when im pissed.
Its better than blowing myself up in a market place - lol.

The bike is all original, w/75k Km.
Had 2 previous long term owners.
Will chk out the Evo forum. Thanks.

Last edited by epikus; 12-05-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by epikus
I know, im sorry, venting helps me keep it verbal when im pissed.
Its better than blowing myself up in a market place - lol.

The bike is all original, w/75k Km.
Had 2 previous long term owners.
Will chk out the Evo forum. Thanks.
Think calm thoughts - mmmmmmmm!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

It should be much easier on the jiffy stand than on a lift. It is on the right side of the bike so leaning to the left would make it more accessible. It has only taken me about 5 minutes every time I have done it.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:05 PM
epikus
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
It should be much easier on the jiffy stand than on a lift. It is on the right side of the bike so leaning to the left would make it more accessible. It has only taken me about 5 minutes every time I have done it.
Good to know.
Thx

Lol grbrown, so i hear!
I will learn, and am learning.

Funny, im getting on in years and it wasnt till i bought a noisy HD that i began to learn about being quiet and still - lol.
No joke.