Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

apes installed now electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Fscott4
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default apes installed now electrical issues

I just installed paughco 14 inch apes on my 08 ultra classic. The fairing cover and gas tank are still off but I put the battery in to test lighting and all was fine. The battery was low but I was able to see the blinkers work and the dash lights came on. I put a charger on and now have nothing when I turn the ignition on. The orange main fuse next to the fuse box is hot but nothing to the ignition or lights! I was gonna charge it up, drop the tank on so I could fire it up and check the fly by wire and verify everything was functional before buttoning it up but now nothing.
The bars came prewired and I solder connected the left and right side stock plugs and am positive these are fine. At this point I have the fly by wire connections taped only inside the fairing until I verify its working correctly.
I am at a complete loss as to what could have happened with the power and any ideas would be more than welcome.
Thanks!

Old 12-03-2017, 07:54 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

I think your battery is done. Take it in and have it load tested.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:50 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 725 Likes on 484 Posts

100 shipped from battery mart

Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Fscott4
Cruiser

Originally Posted by J F GO
I think your battery is done. Take it in and have it load tested.
The battery was low but I did have lights until I put it on the charger. The battery has power and I have a hot main fuse, just no power to the ignition switch. Turn the switch and nothing.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

You can have voltage, but if you don't have amperage you have nothing. Get the battery load tested so that you have checked the #1 item on your check list off first.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

did you move the ignition with the cylinder out? key fob near by?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Loosen then retighten your battery cables at the battery. Maybe one of them isn't making good contact.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Unfortunately electrical problems are a common thing after uninstalling apes, as is being distracted to something else electrical. Before getting too involved with your battery, make sure your handlebar wiring is absolutely fault free. Your hot fuse could be due to a wiring problem in the handlebars.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Fscott4
Cruiser

The battery was tested and is fine. I checked all the continuity to the handlebar wiring and all that is good. The fuse box seems to be working fine and no bad fused, there is power to the front of the bike (lighter, headlight, etc) but nothing happens when the ignition switch is turned on...no lights, no pump, nothing. Im not sure how to check the circuit to the ignition switch, ie power in to ignition and power out. The crazy thing is that the lights, signals and dash lites all worked right after the installation. I wasnt going to try to start the bike until the new clutch cable was installed...crazy!

Last edited by Fscott4; 12-04-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

id say check the FOB. Put a new battery in it. I saw a post on here just like that, guy checked everything and realized in the end the FOB battery had gone bad. If that is good, I would wonder about the right hand side plug, if you have a molex connector and had to take it apart to pull the wires through the bars and put it back together...alot of times ive seen (and did it myself) when people put the plug back together the plate is not pushed back down correctly....you can plug the thing in and it seems to fit but then after a couple times the ignition button and things on that side stop working. Did you hear a click when you plugged the molex connector back into the wiring harness? If not, thats a sure sign the molex connector wasnt put back together right.

Last edited by saltlick; 12-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: apes installed now electrical issues