Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Need help with hid ligths

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
LEA2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with hid ligths

I install a set HID lights. I mount the ballasts each on oneside of the radio bracket. I have a Kenwood radio. When the lights are on the radio contend to change station. Turn to Acc and radio plays fine. Could it be that the ballasts are to close to the radio??

Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That would be my guess. The ballasts produce electromagnetic fields that will interfere with other electronic equipment. If you can relocate them
several inches from the radio and wiring harness it will help.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

in addition to what Dallas 13 stated above; those ballasts create heat and your radio doesn't need any more heat being applied to it's cases. I would relocate them as well.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
BearNVa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack this thread but I've got the DDM TUNING 55w Hi/Lo kit and be damned if I know how to hook it up on a FATBOY LO... anyone got experience with this? I've watched videos and read the install instructions. One person tells me to hook it up to the stock harness but then why do I need the power and ground wire if I do that... I know bulb to ballast, ballast to harness... they still is something wrong though. Anyone got a step by step on a Fatboy install?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Bear. from what I can see in the instructions;
1. unplug the old bulb from the factory wiring harness
2. remove the old bulb from the headlamp socket
3. insert the new bulb into the headlamp socket
4. plug the ballast into the existing factory wiring harnesss plug from step 1 above.
5. mount the ballast somewhere out of the way
6. connect the red and black wires from the wiring harness directly to your battery for the red and a good solid ground for the black
7. plug the red and blue wires from the bulb into the ballast

this should be it.

The reason you need to connect the power and ground in addition to the stock harness is because the ballast draws quite a bit of current (amps) and your stock harness is not capable of supplying that current. The factory harness basically acts as a low voltage/current "trigger" for the built in ballast relay when you flip from high - low beam to allow voltage across the circuits directly from the battery.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 12-15-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
BearNVa
Road Captain

Well one problem I have is the grommet where the wires go into the headlight..if I get it out I don't think I can get it back in...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

that grommet pulls right off and slides right back on after you put the new setup in place. there is a metal retaining clip on the inside of the rubber grommet that holds the bulb in place. pull the grommet off first and you'll see the clip. pop the clip off and then proceed.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

oh you're talking about the grommet at the back side of the headlamp bucket itself! duh.. sorry bout that. you'll need to work at that one.. you should be able to open the grommet up enough to get the black and red wires through it with no problem. if not, enlarge the hole in the bucket, go down to radio shack and get a new grommet that will fit your hole and wiring.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
BearNVa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
oh you're talking about the grommet at the back side of the headlamp bucket itself! duh.. sorry bout that. you'll need to work at that one.. you should be able to open the grommet up enough to get the black and red wires through it with no problem. if not, enlarge the hole in the bucket, go down to radio shack and get a new grommet that will fit your hole and wiring.
Not being a smartass but I really never thought about that.. I was to concerned with messing the grommet up... LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
5W0P3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a little different since it's on my quad but the Street Glide is next...

Same type of grommets if i'm understanding you guys.

Quick Reply: Need help with hid ligths