Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 AM
Johnandadz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question voltage regulator

Can anyone help???!!! Got a 73 Ironhead Sportster. I have a full short circuit from the positive side of the battery to the frame. It disappears when I remove the positive feed from the battery (via the solenoid) to the Batt Terminal on the voltage regulator. Should the voltage regulator be insulated from the rest of the bike or is it simply a short within the regulator itself or something totally unconnected???!!! If anyone could help id appreciate it. I thought I knew electrics but its one thing after the other with this bike!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

hehe.. I've got a 67 and man I feel your pain... have you disconnected the VR altogether to see what happens? Don't reconnect your battery simply use a digital meter to check for short...

Originally Posted by Johnandadz
Can anyone help???!!! Got a 73 Ironhead Sportster. I have a full short circuit from the positive side of the battery to the frame. It disappears when I remove the positive feed from the battery (via the solenoid) to the Batt Terminal on the voltage regulator. Should the voltage regulator be insulated from the rest of the bike or is it simply a short within the regulator itself or something totally unconnected???!!! If anyone could help id appreciate it. I thought I knew electrics but its one thing after the other with this bike!!!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Johnandadz
1st Gear

Hi gents. Thanks for the replies. On further investigation, it would appear I was chasing shadows. The VR is fine. Some advice for anyone interested.
1:When checking any electrical problem on an old bike, ignore the wiring diagram and get back to first principles.
2: Isolate the bike from the ground because if you dont you may be holding a meter onto a wire and at the same time creating a path via the side stand and get spurious readings!!
3: Take any bulbs (lamps) out and isolate pretty much everything until the short dissapears.
4: Use a shunt in a digital meter otherwise you ll pick up erroneous sometimes meaningless voltages. Always check for current.
5: Just rewire the ****ing thing when you first get it and save yourself hours of chasing about, swearing and blown fuses.
6ont buy a 73 sportster unless youre a genius or an idiot. If you do, get rid of the starter motor and the hideously expensive, ugly and heavy battery. Put on a magneto and keep it simple!!!
Weird thing is, I know every inch of the damn thing now and have grown to love it!!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Johnandadz
1st Gear

Hi gents. Thanks for the replies. On further investigation, it would appear I was chasing shadows. The VR is fine. Some advice for anyone interested.
1:When checking any electrical problem on an old bike, ignore the wiring diagram and get back to first principles.
2: Isolate the bike from the ground because if you dont you may be holding a meter onto a wire and at the same time creating a path via the side stand and get spurious readings!!
3: Take any bulbs (lamps) out and isolate pretty much everything until the short dissapears.
4: Use a shunt in a digital meter otherwise you ll pick up erroneous sometimes meaningless voltages. Always check for current.
5: Just rewire the ****ing thing when you first get it and save yourself hours of chasing about, swearing and blown fuses.
6ont buy a 73 sportster unless youre a genius or an idiot. If you do, get rid of the starter motor and the hideously expensive, ugly and heavy battery. Put on a magneto and keep it simple!!!
Weird thing is, I know every inch of the damn thing now and have grown to love it!!