Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Voltage Regulator wire running HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:17 PM
sewers
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Regulator wire running HOT!

Originally put this in the Sportster forum but gotno responses. Now I'm trying the tech support forum instead.

I had an issue withthe 2 year old battery on my '92 Sportster and replaced it (Yuasa sealed battery). Typical for Phoenix area, but after using the bike for a 1 hour ride the same day, I tried to start it the next day it wouldn't start. I tried it again after work and it started right up, no issues. I did a little investigating and it seems that the charging system is working OK (about 14vdc when at 3000rpm, regulator has good ground, etc.)but I noticed the wirerunning from the voltage regulator to the circuit breakeris very hot. Looks like it got hot enough to slightly melt the connector in the wire.It's obviouslynot drawing enough current to blow the 30A circuit breaker, but this still doesn't seem normal....

Anybody got any ideas?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,725 Likes on 1,353 Posts
Default RE: Voltage Regulator wire running HOT!

If the insulation is melting on that wire, you have a problem to track down before something worse happens. Sounds like you have a short somewhere. First try disconnecting one battery lead and putting an ammeter in series with it and turning the ignition on but not starting it. With the headlight on, I'd guess you should have under 10 amps total at that point. More than that would probably not be right. Next, put an ammeter in series with the regulator wire and see how much current is flowing through it. That is, disconnect the regulator wire, hook it to one end of the ammeter, put the other end of the ammeter to where the wire went, start the bike see what the current draw is.