Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil puddle under my bike overnight

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:51 AM
heavywear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil puddle under my bike overnight

any ideas? only thing wrong with the bike is the shop that installed my apes put the clutch cable too close to the pipes and the sheath has melted behind the pipes. thanks for any help

Attached Thumbnails Oil puddle under my bike overnight-oil1.jpg   Oil puddle under my bike overnight-oil2.jpg  
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The transmission fluid oils the clutch cable from where it connects to the transmission. The cable housing melted that's why you have a leak. Need to change the cable.

Last edited by GibT; 11-06-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:57 AM
heavywear
Tourer

thanks!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:45 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,525 Posts

That leak is on the opposite side of the bike from the clutch release cover. The clutch cable is dry, the lever mechanism inside the clutch release cover is lubricated by the trans fluid and the only way fluid leaks from the release cover is via the o-ring where the cable attached to the cover. If the leak was coming from that location, the puddle wouldn't be as large and it would be on the other side of the bike. A leak on the primary side could be primary or transmission fluid. You need to clean the leak area up, dry it off, take a ride and look again to determine where the leak is coming from. From the size of the puddle, it looks like a transmission fluid leak, either from the main shaft/5th gear seal or the main drive gear seal. If the leak was from the primary, the leak would drip and leave a spot about an inch or two in diameter and stop. A trans leak, with the bike on the side stand will leak trans fluid until the fluid drops below the level of the seal that is leaking.

You have some homework to do. Suggest you get the service manual for your bike and check it out.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:59 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you find out lets us know. Djl is right that is a lot of oil.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:44 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

That looks like a picture of the cam cover to me.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
That looks like a picture of the cam cover to me.
Good catch; you are correct, it is a picture of the cam cover. For some reason, it registered as the derby cover to me; I completely overlooked the pipes. Apologies to the OP, I thought I would get through the year without making a mistake.

Still a lot of oil to be leaking from the o-ring where the clutch cable enters the clutch release cover. However, if the cable was changed, the tech could have not torqued the release cover bolts, screwed up the gasket, left out a bolt, etc. The OP still needs to clean up the area around the leak, take a short ride and hunt down the source of the leak.

Since it was not leaking before the apes were installed; it would make sense to look at the cable and clutch release cover. Don't know where the cable was touching the exhaust but if it was close enough to the clutch release cover, the sealing o-ring could have been melted or deformed from the heat...

To the OP: was the clutch cable changed? I still recommend that the OP purchase the service manual for his bike.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:45 AM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

prob need to get under there and see if you can track it down before you move it. Looks like its right under the cam cover but can be running from somewhere else. also check the bottom two trans cover bolts that hold the exhaust bracket, a little further back but could be running fwd??

Old 11-10-2015, 06:01 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Same thing happened to my buddy after a long dyno tuning session.... pipes melted the outer sheath on his clutch cable and it was dripping oil too.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 PM
heavywear
Tourer

Took it to the dealer and the leak was a $5 tranny gasket. Had them put a +6 clutch cable on the apes too. Thanks for all the input

Quick Reply: Oil puddle under my bike overnight