Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

oil expansion ring end gap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 AM
deluxe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil expansion ring end gap

Hi All,

I am getting ready to install my 107" pistons and going through the process of checking all the end gaps for the rings.
The top ring and 2nd are all good. just wanted to check if the expansion ring should have the same end gap as the two control rings. Checked the manual but it never mentions the expansion ring. Only for positioning on the piston.

What do you guys do?

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Old 10-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by deluxe
Hi All,

I am getting ready to install my 107" pistons and going through the process of checking all the end gaps for the rings.
The top ring and 2nd are all good. just wanted to check if the expansion ring should have the same end gap as the two control rings. Checked the manual but it never mentions the expansion ring. Only for positioning on the piston.

What do you guys do?

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

As long as your ring sets were all from packaging that was not broken you should be good... No worries. You should be able to tell with installation on just how they roll onto the piston. Just from memory, I don't have a manual in front of me but, I think there is end gap clearance charts. I am assuming your using all new parts, correct?

Start at the lowest ring land of your piston, oil rings then your top compression rings. Make sure to follow the manual on your end gap staggering. Your end gap clearance on your oil rings isn't the critical one anyway. Your top two compression rings are the important ones.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Taggs; 10-06-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts
Old 10-06-2016, 09:35 AM
deluxe
Cruiser

Thanks Taggs,

Its the expansion ring (wavy one) I have a concern about, rather than the oil rings or compression rings. It touches ends when on the piston and when checking in the bore. Is this correct of should its gap be the same as the oil control rings around 0.0200 - 0.0300 thou?

Rob

Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Thanks UL. Great info...I would only point out that is a tech sheet for reringing a used set of pistons. Wear limits shown is good to stay within allowable tolerances for worn parts for that.

New pistons and rings you should be good to go. My best gage has been just how the rings roll on. The oil rings when in there e should be snug on the piston but movable as a unit. Your top two compression rings should move freely. Check there end gap if you like but, like I mentioned if they fir without falling off or to tight to move, your good

Good luck...

Old 10-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

The spring under your oil rings should be closed at its ends and move freely before and after topping with the two oil rings. When the two oils rings are in place over the spring this becomes a unit. It should still move on the piston a unit. Just don't let the two ends of that spring overlap.

Last edited by Taggs; 10-06-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Let us know how it goes...

Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 AM
deluxe
Cruiser

Will do. They all move freely on the piston. Just worried about it tightening up once in the cylinder and forcing the expander to over lap. Or is that not possible?

Rob

Old 10-06-2016, 01:09 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,500 Posts

I have never had to gap oil control or expander rings. When the control ring gaps are staggered, the expander and top/bottom rings act as a unit to wipe the cylinder walls. I don't believe the OP has an issue but without seeing the rings installed, really can't say.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by deluxe
Will do. They all move freely on the piston. Just worried about it tightening up once in the cylinder and forcing the expander to over lap. Or is that not possible?

Rob
As long as the oil rings and spring are free to move as a unit your good. I lube all the rings with engine oil just before assembly. Things will better find home once the jug is put in place. You are using a ring compressor for assembly right??

Last edited by Taggs; 10-06-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: oil expansion ring end gap