Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam chain tensioner shoe replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:05 AM
Shadowfax
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain tensioner shoe replacement.

Can I just change out the shoes, and not the tensioners? Twin cam year 2000 Dyna super glide.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Can I just change out the shoes, and not the tensioners? Twin cam year 2000 Dyna super glide.
DO NOT use OEM tensioners,either go with the hyd up grade,gear drive cams or the least expensive option,CYRO tensioner pads

Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
DO NOT use OEM tensioners,either go with the hyd up grade,gear drive cams or the least expensive option,CYRO tensioner pads
That's good advice from prodrag1320...only I believe he meant Cyco Tensioner Pads, as referenced below:

http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com/

If you are only going to replace the pads, use the Cyco pads. Gear drive and hyd upgrade are better choices, but you can get by with the Cyco pads.

Last edited by nhrider1; 12-20-2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2016, 08:29 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Yes, replace with the CYCO shoes.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

It's truly not worth the cost to convert and hardly worth the savings to just replace the small pad with an aftermarket pad. I have ask and ask on here for someone who has truly did that him self, put 50K on the pad and post a picture. No one has yet to do it. All you see is the good deal for the part on places like Ebay. Do not fall for any upgrade that still leaves the inner link chain on your bike. That is what wears the shoe since it always rubs and never rolls like a roller chain that Harley went to in 2007 and 2008 across the line. They disguised it a hydraulic fix but it was really the chain.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Shadowfax
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a plan, cyro is the way I'll go.

Originally Posted by nhrider1
That's good advice from prodrag1320...only I believe he meant Cyco Tensioner Pads, as referenced below:

If you are only going to replace the pads, use the Cyco pads. Gear drive and hyd upgrade are better choices, but you can get by with the Cyco pads.
I agree with your advice but due to the holidays money is a little tight. Thank you for the link and thank you for your advice.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's truly not worth the cost to convert and hardly worth the savings to just replace the small pad with an aftermarket pad. I have ask and ask on here for someone who has truly did that him self, put 50K on the pad and post a picture. No one has yet to do it. All you see is the good deal for the part on places like Ebay. Do not fall for any upgrade that still leaves the inner link chain on your bike. That is what wears the shoe since it always rubs and never rolls like a roller chain that Harley went to in 2007 and 2008 across the line. They disguised it a hydraulic fix but it was really the chain.
thank you, I will keep you posted after the change out I will take pictures after 25000 30000 + 40000 and then some if it lasts that long

sounds like a plan, now to get the tensioners off the plate LOL.

Originally Posted by nhrider1

just tried to order pads from them , but don't sell retail. 😒

sounds like a plan, now to get the tensioners off the plate LOL.
where can I order them at? Cyco don't sell retail.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-30-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

You just be kidding. You are advising forum members to avoid the SE hybrid kit and only go for the full hydraulic upgrade or gear drive cams which seems extreme as well as misguided to me.

Everyone that has replaced the OEM tensioner shoes with the CYCO shoes has done just that, replace the OEM shoe with an aftermarket shoe and save $$. It may be a while before one such individual gets 50K miles rolled up and when they do they will most likely have forgotten your request; so don't hold your breath. I challenge you to find reports of the CYCO shoes failing under the link chain. Completely different material from the OEM shoes; very much like the primary chain shoe material.

It is true that a new link chain has some rough edges and with the high pressure of the spring will eat into the OEM tensioners. However, after some miles, the link chain is "polished" by the OEM tensioners. Back in the day before CYCO and hydraulic tensioners, many DIYers on a budget would simply replace worn OEM tensioners with new OEM tensioners, polish the link chain with a buffing wheel and jewelers compound, put all back together and run many issue free miles.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
You just be kidding. You are advising forum members to avoid the SE hybrid kit and only go for the full hydraulic upgrade or gear drive cams which seems extreme as well as misguided to me.

Everyone that has replaced the OEM tensioner shoes with the CYCO shoes has done just that, replace the OEM shoe with an aftermarket shoe and save $$. It may be a while before one such individual gets 50K miles rolled up and when they do they will most likely have forgotten your request; so don't hold your breath. I challenge you to find reports of the CYCO shoes failing under the link chain. Completely different material from the OEM shoes; very much like the primary chain shoe material.

It is true that a new link chain has some rough edges and with the high pressure of the spring will eat into the OEM tensioners. However, after some miles, the link chain is "polished" by the OEM tensioners. Back in the day before CYCO and hydraulic tensioners, many DIYers on a budget would simply replace worn OEM tensioners with new OEM tensioners, polish the link chain with a buffing wheel and jewelers compound, put all back together and run many issue free miles.
You misunderstood my meaning of truly not worth the cost to convert. I meant that to not covert to anything. Check originals ever 25K or so for wear and replace at 10 years with OEM parts no matter what. However, if you must pay to have them inspected, just replace them with OEM shoes ratherthen inspect. Just MY OPINION. My original are still in my bike at 50K. Hardly warn at 30K If I ever stayed around during the winter, I would replace them next time due to age since hot oil makes delrin brittle. Those bumps you see on the outer links keep the oil from cavitating at high RPM (you can see the blown out chucks of those who hit the rev limiter frequently. They are not rough. There was a user on here who polished his link chain. Within the year, it was binding and kinking. Probably due to the fine lapping compound effect of polishing it and the almost impossible ability to wash the chin free of it.

My first attachment is a conversion to a roller chain and still running a link chain. Then rooler setup..(once grooved in, it rolls and wears no more..but requires a cam change) Then cavitation from high rpm use. Mine at 30K..You inspect inner by noting how deep pin links are to shoe. They should not touch. Outer one can be measured...

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

where can I order them at? Cyco don't sell retail.
Amazon. Buy the tool with 'em too

Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

You misunderstood my meaning of truly not worth the cost to convert. I meant that to not covert to anything. Check originals ever 25K or so for wear and replace at 10 years with OEM parts no matter what. However, if you must pay to have them inspected, just replace them with OEM shoes ratherthen inspect. Just MY OPINION. My original are still in my bike at 50K. Hardly warn at 30K If I ever stayed around during the winter, I would replace them next time due to age since hot oil makes delrin brittle. Those bumps you see on the outer links keep the oil from cavitating at high RPM (you can see the blown out chucks of those who hit the rev limiter frequently. They are not rough. There was a user on here who polished his link chain. Within the year, it was binding and kinking. Probably due to the fine lapping compound effect of polishing it and the almost impossible ability to wash the chin free of it.

My first attachment is a conversion to a roller chain and still running a link chain. Then rooler setup..(once grooved in, it rolls and wears no more..but requires a cam change) Then cavitation from high rpm use. Mine at 30K..You inspect inner by noting how deep pin links are to shoe. They should not touch. Outer one can be measured...
I understand the benefit of the roller chain over the link chain, delrin, etc.; well acquainted with the innards of the TC motor. However, your suggestion to check every 25K miles only works if the OEM shoes last 25K miles. The OEM shoes were near gone on my '05 FXSTD at 12.5K miles and the only way I found out was while installing a 95" big bore kit; discovered the failing shoes when I pulled the cam cover. I chose geared cams at that point in lieu of taking a chance on another set of OEM shoes; no CYCO available in '05 and I was not about to replace with OEM shoes even with a "polished" chain. The shoes on my '02 FLHT were gone at 20K miles. Similar story, pulled the motor to build an all bore 107" and discovered inner shoe worn down to the metal carrier and the outer cracked with large piece gone.

I would never advise to keep OEM shoes with the alternatives currently available. Obviously I misunderstood since you seem to indicate in your above post that you are OK with the link chain and OEM shoes; however, in your previous post, you give the following advice "Do not fall for any upgrade that still leaves the inner link chain on your bike"; sounds like in one post you condemn the link chain but in the next you believe the link chain and OEM tensioners are superior to the current.

I know there are thousands of TC motors still running the OEM link chain and tensioners; however, with the history of catastrophic failure, without warning and the potential for the damage, I advise anyone who asks to replace the OEM tensioners with whatever alternative they choose and/or can afford. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner shoe replacement.