Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

oil relief spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:56 AM
65Tiger
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default oil relief spring

2008 Road King so the new higher flow pump and hydraulic chain adjusters.
I am opening up the cam chest for a Woods 777 cam change at 85,000 miles and only want to do it once

From reading the threads:
Are all the aftermarket relief springs created equal?

Is the Axtell spring/bypass system better? If so is it recommended on a warmed over street bike

How much pressure is too much given the hydraulic cam chain adjusters?

Surely if something as simple as a higher rate spring was better the factory engineers would have thought of it?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

You don't need any extra "stuff" with the new pump; more than adequate for the job. Lots of solutions from HD and the aftermarket for problems we don't have......

EDIT: Remember that the HD oiling system is based on volume, not pressure. All the HD TC motor needs is decent pressure, good scavenging from the crank case and good flow, all of which are delivered quite nicely with OEM parts.

Last edited by djl; 12-29-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Haven't used them ... Can't say I recommend them ... But here is an alternative.

http://www.baisley.com/oil_spring_product.htm

Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 PM
65Tiger
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Haven't used them ... Can't say I recommend them ... But here is an alternative.

http://www.baisley.com/oil_spring_product.htm
That is one of the springs I was talking about.

As djl says, our systems are all about flow and scavenging, not pressure. I already have the later 07+ high flow pump.
My interest lies in the ramp profile of the Woods 777 cams and the ability of the lifters to follow that ramp given low oil pressure. At the same time I am thinking of Johnson "slow bleed" lifters to help with the cam ramps but wonder if more oil pressure is needed too.
Woods cams are purported to be "noisy" so I am trying to address this now rather than moan about it later.

Secondary concern is how much pressure is too much given that the hydraulic chain tensioners will be exerting more tension than designed.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:57 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by 65Tiger
That is one of the springs I was talking about.

As djl says, our systems are all about flow and scavenging, not pressure. I already have the later 07+ high flow pump. My interest lies in the ramp profile of the Woods 777 cams and the ability of the lifters to follow that ramp given low oil pressure. At the same time I am thinking of Johnson "slow bleed" lifters to help with the cam ramps but wonder if more oil pressure is needed too. Woods cams are purported to be "noisy" so I am trying to address this now rather than moan about it later.

Secondary concern is how much pressure is too much given that the hydraulic chain tensioners will be exerting more tension than designed.
I think you are anticipating a problem that does not exist. True Woods cam ramps are fast but, from what I understand, the 222 and 777 profiles are not as radical as some of his earlier cams. Lots of his 777s running in mild builds with no issues. Better to focus on using a lifter designed for the application like Woods Directional or the S&S Premiums. Maybe the Johnson "slow bleed" lifters will work as well; don't know as I haven't used them.

The Baisley spring was designed for the early cam plates when we were using washers to increase the spring pressure. Oil pressure in some early models would drop to 3psi at hot idle; sometimes the oil pressure light would blink on and off. The Baisley spring cam along to increase idle and low rpm pressure with no effect on oil pressure at higher rpms.

Last edited by djl; 12-29-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I agree with djl.
We'd use an S&S lifter here on that cam.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM
65Tiger
Tourer

OK got it and thanks to all
I am leaning towards no spring, SE high volume pump, and S&S lifters

Old 12-30-2016, 01:00 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I think you are anticipating a problem that does not exist. True Woods cam ramps are fast but, from what I understand, the 222 and 777 profiles are not as radical as some of his earlier cams. Lots of his 777s running in mild builds with no issues. Better to focus on using a lifter designed for the application like Woods Directional or the S&S Premiums. Maybe the Johnson "slow bleed" lifters will work as well; don't know as I haven't used them.

The Baisley spring was designed for the early cam plates when we were using washers to increase the spring pressure. Oil pressure in some early models would drop to 3psi at hot idle; sometimes the oil pressure light would blink on and off. The Baisley spring cam along to increase idle and low rpm pressure with no effect on oil pressure at higher rpms.
So would the Baisley spring be beneficial for an '06 Ultra? I already have all the parts on the way to install a TW21 including S&S lifters and replacing tensioners with Cyco shoes. I was just researching this today. I have not had a problem with the oil light coming on, but it does drop low when @ running temps

Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by DonnieM
So would the Baisley spring be beneficial for an '06 Ultra? I already have all the parts on the way to install a TW21 including S&S lifters and replacing tensioners with Cyco shoes. I was just researching this today. I have not had a problem with the oil light coming on, but it does drop low when @ running temps
It won't hurt. Use the lower tension spring LMR-002 or something like that.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:26 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i put the 15% basiley spring in every twin cam i open the cam chest on.

i have it in a 96, a 107, and 120R. the spring in my opinion helps at idle and low RPM. at high RPM, the spring does not impact pressure.

i have woods cams in 2 of the 3 bikes with no noise. 1 bike has gear drive cams. the most you can hear is the gears.

while everyone makes their own choice, for 12 dollars. i think its an easy fix, regardless of which oil pump, cam shoes or lifters you use.

Quick Reply: oil relief spring